Waterloo in Monroe County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
121 South Main
— Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
Louis Bickelhaupt, Peter's son, and partner Fred Weisenbom took charge of the City Hotel in 1887. They operated a hotel, dining room and bar in such a manner that the old time "drummers" always made it a point to stop in Waterloo. He served meals which not only attracted the traveling public, but local guests as well. Rumor has it that the basement of the building was used to stow the travelers' horses. In 1920, Louis retired and sold his property to the Lofinck family. When the Lofincks business ended, it was sold to a group of men headed by George C. Ziebold, and the hotel was
In 1925, the property was purchased by Charles Eppinger, a businessman and farmer from Valmeyer. Charles brought his family to Waterloo and they lived in the hotel. The vacant rooms were occupied by boarders. Downstairs was a restaurant and bar are where family members helped serve food and drink to patrons. The hotel's balcony was a popular vantage point for car shows, races, parades and Municipal Band concerts. During the Prohibition, years of 1920-193, the area was converted into a grocery store, with the family stocking products and filling orders of shoppers. Once Prohibition ended, it wasn't long before Eppinger brought the bar back.
Lloyd Engelbrecht worked at the City Hotel and fondly recalls the Tuesday night special of turtle soup, cooked by his father, George Engelbrecht. It was a favorite of many to eat during the Municipal Band concerts. After the Eppinger family moved away, proprietors such as Emil Honnecker, Joseph Davies, Thomas Crois and Steve Burke owned the hotel.
A Ben Franklin Five and Ten store occupied the first-floor space until the 1980's. The property was split into two sections, serving as both Sally's Hallmark and Heartland Travel. After Sally Smith retired, Vicki's Hallmark occupied both sides until 2010. Shortly after, Bountiful Blossoms, a floral and gift shop, operated here until moving into their new building on Mill Street. In 2018, the building was completely renovated. The second and third floors became apartments named "The Lofts at City Hotel," and the main level is now home to Shorty's Smokehouse. The owners included many original design features, including paint colors, the City Hotel signage and the front wood and glass doors. Inside the beams from another prominent business of historic Waterloo — Horn's Feed Mill.
Researched by Gibault Students Ashley Grohmann, Abbie Meyer, Maddie O'Neill, Lauren Schmidt and Monica Shuler.
Erected 2018 by Waterloo Beautication Committee.
Location. 38° 20.125′ N, 90° 9.024′ W. Marker is in Waterloo, Illinois, in Monroe County. Marker is on South Main Street just north of West 3rd Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 South Main Street, Waterloo IL 62298, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Küenster Building (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Küenster Building (a few steps from this marker); The Pluth Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe County Bicentennial Bandstand (within shouting distance of this marker); The Odd Fellows Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Commercial State Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Harrisonville Telephone Company (within shouting distance of this marker); The Braun Property (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterloo.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for City Hotel.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 30, 2019. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 30, 2019. 2. submitted on December 20, 2019, by Thomas Smith of Waterloo, Ill. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.