Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Waterloo in Monroe County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Stroh Building

101 East Mill Street

 
 
The Stroh Building Marker image. Click for full size.
September 29, 2019
1. The Stroh Building Marker
Inscription.  Before 1830, John Coleman erected a large windmill at the corner of Main and Mill where this building stands today. He also owned a mill next door. The mill was changed into an ox-mill in 1837 and destroyed by fire in 1857, when it was a steam mill.

Courthouse records indicate the corner was sold by Ferdinand and Wilhelmina Rose to Conrad Stroh on August 6, 1841. The Martin Dunn family had a general store at this location in 1852 and a three-story building was constructed on the corner about 1860, after the fire of 1857.

The Stroh family used this building as a general store and a saloon until the late 1890's. It is often referred to as the Stroh Building. Originally the building was used as three separate buildings. At one time there was a wall (three bricks thick), running through the building from west to east. The wall had been removed from the first floor, but remained on the second floor and was supported by boards on top of two steel pillars. Between 1890 and 1910, the third floor was removed because the owner did not want to pay taxed on a three-story building. The old third story dance floor is still visible on the present

The Stroh Building image. Click for full size.
September 29, 2019
2. The Stroh Building
day attic.

By 1904, a bakery was established in the building by the Schulmeister family. E. Fred Schulmeister had come from Germany a few years earlier. By 1908, the floor under the bake oven had broken down so much that Schulmeister moved his bakery to the Heer Building at 211 South Main Street. The bakery served the community from its new location for more than 60 years.

The Stroh family sold the building to Charles F. Roever on February 21, 1920. The Roevers operated a café from 1919 to 1952. Olga Roever sold the building to Raymond and Mathilda Newbarth on February 27, 1967 and for the next 16 years it housed Newbarth Sheet Metal. On July 5,1983, Jay and Mary Ellen Huetsch purchased the building and remodeled it into a law office with an upstairs apartment. Today this building houses Adams & Huetsch Law Office and Mon Clair Title Company.
 
Erected by Waterloo Chamber of Commerce.
 
Location. 38° 20.177′ N, 90° 9.013′ W. Marker is in Waterloo, Illinois, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of East Mill Street, on the right when traveling south on East Mill Street. Right beside the Monroe County Courthouse Next to the marker is a lamp. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Mill Street, Waterloo IL 62298, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
. Commercial State Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brey Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Schorr Brewing Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pluth Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bison (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); City Hotel (about 300 feet away); The Küenster Building (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Küenster Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterloo.
 
Categories. ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce
 

More. Search the internet for The Stroh Building.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2019. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on October 2, 2019.   2. submitted on October 1, 2019. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement