Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Independence in Jackson County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Stone Church

 
 
The Stone Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael E Sanchez, Jr., August 26, 2019
1. The Stone Church Marker
Inscription.  The first branch of the reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Independence was organized in 1873. Joseph Smith III, on April 6, 1888, laid the cornerstone of this cut sandstone building, for years the pulpit of Presidents of the Church.
 
Erected 1976 by American Revolution Bicentennial Commission of Independence.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Spirit of 76, America's Bicentennial Celebration marker series.
 
Location. 39° 5.484′ N, 94° 25.7′ W. Marker is in Independence, Missouri, in Jackson County. Marker is on West Lexington 0.1 miles west of North River Boulavard, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1012 West Lexington Avenue, Independence MO 64050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Line (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Joseph T. Noland House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gingko Tree (approx. 0.3 miles away); Truman House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battle Line at Railroad Cut
The Stone Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael E Sanchez, Jr., August 27, 2019
2. The Stone Church
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Truman Boyhood Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
 
Regarding The Stone Church. The Community of Christ Stone Church (known from 1888-2000 as the RLDS Stone Church) is a church building in Independence, Missouri at 1012 W. Lexington, north across the street from the Church of Christ (Temple Lot) headquarters building and diagonally opposite ("cater-corner") the Community of Christ Temple.

The Church began construction on the site in 1884, and the completed building was dedicated on April 6, 1888. For years, the Stone Church was the headquarters building of the RLDS Church. Administrative offices and General Conference meetings were later transferred to the Community of Christ "Auditorium" in the mid 20th century, and still later to the Temple after 1994. The structure is still in use today as a regular congregational meeting location and community outreach programs.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for The Stone Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2019, by Michael E Sanchez, Jr. of Kansas City, Missouri. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 2, 2019, by Michael E Sanchez, Jr. of Kansas City, Missouri. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement