Commercial State Bank
101 South Main
— Waterloo, Monroe Co., Ill., Laid out in 1818 —
The Commercial State Bank of Waterloo organized as private bank in 1882 and was originally quartered in the Ruch building (now Gallagher's Restaurant) on Mill Street. When Theodore Ruch passed away, his son Thomas sold the building to Hugh Murphy, a co-founder and vice president of the Commercial State Bank, in 1919.
The Commercial State Bank became chartered as a State Bank in July 1920 when the State of Illinois abolished private banks. Shortly after, on October 1,1920, the bank purchased this property for $5,100.00 from Mr, Murphy. The rock residence was torn down and construction of a new building, which is the building that still stands today, was completed in 1929.
Commercial State Bank moved all operations to this location. The original two-story building featured five east windows and six north windows on the top floor. Although this building
Before the bank expanded west to the alley (which occurred in 1989) that section along Mill Street was similar to what we now call a strip mall, and was home to many different shops during the mid-1900's. Closest to the corner of Main and Mill was Orrell's Barber Shop. Next to the barbershop was the Twin Shop and Kipping's Dairy Bar, which later was lone's Dairy Bar (also known as Sealtest Ice Cream). At the end was Gem Dry Cleaners. There was also Clara & Tillie Siegel's Ladies wear, The Waterloo Times, Tony Floerke's Shoe Repair and others as the businesses changed hands throughout the years.
In 1966, a natural gas leak on the north side of Mill street caused a major explosion, burning down three buildings and doing damage to many others. The glass windows of all of the buildings on Mill Street were shattered. Destruction was also caused by the fire, which was created by the explosion. Luckily, not much of the ice cream shops or neighboring businesses on the South side of Mill were destroyed and business was able to resume the next month.
The commercial State bank continued to thrive for almost 200 years
Erected 2019 by Waterloo Beautification Committee.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Illinois, Waterloo Beautification Committee series list.
Location. 38° 20.16′ N, 90° 9.03′ W. Marker is in Waterloo, Illinois, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and West Mill Street, on the left when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 South Main Street, Waterloo IL 62298, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Wissmath Property (a few steps from this marker); The State Bank of Waterloo (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pluth Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stroh Building (within shouting distance of this marker); City Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Küenster Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe County World War Veteran Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Transportation (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterloo.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2019. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 3, 2019. 2. submitted on December 22, 2019, by Thomas Smith of Waterloo, Ill. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.