Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Florissant in St. Louis County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Old St. Ferdinand Shrine

 
 
Old St. Ferdinand Shrine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, October 6, 2019
1. Old St. Ferdinand Shrine Marker
Inscription.  This church was built in 1821, at the then frontier of our beloved land and dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus with St. Ferdinand and St. John Francis Regis as secondary patrons
 
Erected 1925 by The St. Louis General Assembly Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus.
 
Location. 38° 47.803′ N, 90° 20.038′ W. Marker is in Florissant, Missouri, in St. Louis County. Marker is on Rue St. Francois 0.1 miles from North St. Charles Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is posted in front of the 1821 church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Rue St Francois, Florissant MO 63031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne (within shouting distance of this marker); Florissant (within shouting distance of this marker); Sunset Greenway (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pierre-Jean De Smet, S.J. (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Fort Belle Fontaine (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Lewis and Clark Expedition
Old St. Ferdinand Shrine image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, October 6, 2019
2. Old St. Ferdinand Shrine
Marker is posted on the 1821 church
(approx. 6.8 miles away); Fort Belle Fontaine (approx. 6.8 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Belle Fontaine (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florissant.
 
Regarding Old St. Ferdinand Shrine. The Old St. Ferdinand Shrine consists of a convent (built in 1819), a church (1821), a rectory (1840) and a schoolhouse (1888). All four of those buildings were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 as the St. Ferdinand's Shrine Historic District. The current church is the oldest west of the Mississippi and east of the Rocky Mountains. It has been preserved by the Friends of Old St. Ferdinand since 1958. The buildings were transferred to them in 1979 from Cardinal John Carberry.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for Old St. Ferdinand Shrine.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 37 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement