Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Oneco in Windham County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Sterling

 
 
Sterling Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 4, 2019
1. Sterling Marker
Inscription.  
Sterling
Originally part of the long narrow area called Voluntown, this northern section separated and obtained town privileges from the Connecticut General Assembly on the second Thursday of May, 1794. The name given was that of a temporary resident, Dr. John Sterling, who had promised the Town a library in return for the honor. Dr. Sterling failed to make good his promise, but a library was obtained by soliciting private donations. The first town meeting was held on June 9, 1794 at the home of Robert Dixon on Sterling Hill. The first post office was established as Sterling on October 1, 1809, the name later being changed to Sterling Hill. The American Manufacturing Company also known as Potter's Factory, was the first cotton mill in Sterling. It was situated on the Quandock River about the year 1800, followed by the Sterling Manufacturing Company on the Moosup River in 1808.

( back )
Local industrialist William Pike pioneered in using chlorine as a bleaching agent for cloth and also established for the use of the dyer distilleries or sapworks that would extract the first pyroligneous acid made in
Sterling Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 4, 2019
2. Sterling Marker
( back )
this country. His son James discovered a process of coloring with a fast black that was superior to any then in use. With the advent of the first railroad in 1854, which connected Providence with Hartford, this made the distribution of materials much easier than before and contributed to the economic base of Sterling. Oneco, as it is known today was named after Owaneco, son of the Mohegan Indian sachem Uncas, who had claimed ownership of large tracts of eastern Connecticut land in early colonial days. About the year 1820 Henry Sabin built a cotton factory here and named the village Sabinville. Smith and Williams began quarrying granite in this vicinity in the 1850's, an industry that is still active.
Erected by the Town of Sterling
the Sterling Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1980

 
Location. 41° 41.592′ N, 71° 48.408′ W. Marker is in Oneco, Connecticut, in Windham County. Marker is at the intersection of Plainfield Pike (Connecticut Route 14A) and Providence Road, on the right when traveling east on Plainfield Pike. Located in front of Sterling Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1183 Plainfield Pike, Oneco CT 06373, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United States Finishing Company World War I Memorial (a few steps from this marker);
Sterling Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 4, 2019
3. Sterling Marker
Honor Roll Saint Joseph’s Church (a few steps from this marker); Sterling Veterans Memorial Park (a few steps from this marker); Rochambeau Encampment (approx. 2 miles away); Summit (approx. 5˝ miles away in Rhode Island); St. John s Parish World War I Monument (approx. 5.8 miles away); Plainfield Veterans Monument (approx. 5.8 miles away); Plainfield World War II Monument (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oneco.
 
Also see . . .
1. Town of Sterling, CT. (Submitted on October 8, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Sterling, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 8, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Sterling Town Hall image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 4, 2019
4. Sterling Town Hall
 

More. Search the internet for Sterling.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2020. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 8, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement