Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Ledyard in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Ledyard

 
 
Ledyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 4, 2019
1. Ledyard Marker
Inscription.  
Ledyard
Settlement by New London pioneers in this conquered Pequot Indian country began along the river at Allyn's Point and Poquetanuck in 1653, then spread down the Indian trail to Mystic. Here at the "Center ,” in 1725 the precise center of that area which became Ledyard was chosen as the site for the new North Parish church of Groton and the training field of the militia was moved. On September 6, 1781 that militia supported the defender of Fort Griswold, Colonel William Ledyard, when Benedict Arnold sacked New London and Groton. One-third of those massacred came from this North Parish. Its people, recovering slowly, chose in 1836 to name their new town as a memorial to their leader.

( back )
The first village, Gales Ferry (1740), sheltered blockaded Commodore Decatur from British attack during the War of 1812. For nearly one hundred years (1878-1975) Yale and Harvard crews have trained there for their annual four-mile race along the Thames.
Ledyard was the birthplace of Silas Deane (1737 - 1789) – envoy to France during the Revolution. Samuel Seabury (1729 - 1796) – first
Ledyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 4, 2019
2. Ledyard Marker
( back )
Episcopal Bishop of Connecticut. Jonathan Whipple (1794 - 1875) and Zerah Whipple (1849 - 1879) – Quakers, founders of the Whipple Home School for Deaf Mutes, now the Mystic Oral School.
Erected by the Town of Ledyard
the Ledyard Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1976

 
Erected 1976.
 
Location. 41° 26.47′ N, 72° 0.99′ W. Marker is in Ledyard, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker is at the intersection of Colonel Ledyard Hwy. (Connecticut Route 117) and Center Groton Road, on the left when traveling south on Colonel Ledyard Hwy.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ledyard CT 06339, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ledyard Veterans Memorials (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ledyard World War I Monument (about 400 feet away); Samuel Seabury (approx. 1.2 miles away); Gurdon Bill’s Station (approx. 1.2 miles away); Montville (approx. 4.9 miles away); Montville Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); Montville World War II Monument (approx. 4.9 miles away); Montville Honor Roll (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ledyard.
 
Regarding Ledyard. The Mystic Education Center, formerly the Mystic Oral School,
Ledyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, October 4, 2019
3. Ledyard Marker
originally the Whipple School for the Deaf, moved from Ledyard to Mystic in 1872. It closed in 1980.
 
Also see . . .
1. Town of Ledyard, Connecticut. (Submitted on October 11, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Ledyard, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 11, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
3. Quakertown Online - Mystic Oral School. (Submitted on October 11, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Ledyard.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 11, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement