Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Original Site of First Presbyterian Church

 
 
Original Site of First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, November 18, 2007
1. Original Site of First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  

The Rev. William M. Baker and five charter members organized the First Presbyterian Church of Austin on May 26, 1850. Abner H. Cook, future designer of the Governor's Mansion, was among the charter members and was elected a ruling elder. In 1851, members erected a wood frame building on two lots at this site, which Cook donated to the church. The members enlarged the structure in 1855, and in 1874 agreed to construct a stone building. They built the first floor and met there until funding was available to complete the edifice in 1890. With the later addition of an annex and tower, it served until 1960, when the congregation moved to a site in north central Austin. They relocated to northwest Austin in 1978.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12363.)
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 30° 16.177′ N, 97° 44.68′ W. Marker was in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker was on W. 7th St. near Lavaca St., on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Original Site of First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, November 18, 2007
2. Original Site of First Presbyterian Church Marker
8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Claudia Taylor Johnson Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); O. Henry Hall (about 400 feet away); Norwood Tower (about 500 feet away); Old B.J. Smith Property (about 500 feet away); Openheimer-Montgomery Building (about 700 feet away); Hirshfeld House (about 700 feet away); Hirshfeld Cottage (about 800 feet away); Ira Hobart Evans (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Regarding Original Site of First Presbyterian Church. The Travis County Historical Commission has confirmed this marker is missing, likely missing for some time dating back to construction at the site. A search for the marker has been made without success. Discussions about replacing the marker are underway.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. New location and marker for the First Presbyterian Church
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for Original Site of First Presbyterian Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 639 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on October 16, 2019, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement