Mesquite in Clark County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
School and Gymnasium Block
Block School, circa 1922. The Block School, so-named because it was made of cement block, had four classrooms and an auditorium. It stood on the southeast corner of the block until it was replaced with a new campus in the 1960’s. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints rented the schoolhouse for meetings and gatherings for several years.
Gymnasium, circa 1938. This red brick gymnasium was built adjacent to the Block School and became the center of recreation for the community. The gymnasium was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. It represents Italian Renaissance REvival style architecture. Construction of the gymnasium was funded through the federal Public Works Administration
Erected 2003 by City of Mesquite. (Marker Number 9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 36° 48.328′ N, 114° 4.027′ W. Marker is in Mesquite, Nevada, in Clark County. Marker is on First North Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 39 E First North, Mesquite NV 89027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rock House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John David Pulsipher Home (about 400 feet away); Charles Hardy Home (about 500 feet away); Tithing Lot (about 500 feet away); History of Mesquite (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mesquite.
Categories. • Education •
More. Search the internet for School and Gymnasium Block.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,413 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on September 1, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.