Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gaithersburg in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Gaithersburg Wye

 
 
The Gaithersburg Wye Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, October 20, 2019
1. The Gaithersburg Wye Marker
Inscription.  You are standing on the historic site of The Gaithersburg Wye, situated on 2.25 acres adjacent to the Metropolitan Branch of the old Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. This railroad is currently known as the CSX.

The Gaithersburg Wye is historically significant as it served as the terminating point for trains from Washington traveling west. It was necessary to find a means to turn around steam locomotives (reversing the direction) once they arrived in Gaithersburg. Changing the direction of the train was accomplished most economically by the means of a "wye," an arrangement of trackage which, when viewed from above looks like a "Y" attached perpendicularly to the mainline track. The two legs of the "Y" are back to back concave arches. The degree of curvature of these arches is slight enough to accommodate the wheelbase of the largest locomotive to be turned on the wye.* [Caption:]
Railroad Relics from The Gaithersburg Wye.

Wye [wahy]
noun. plural wyes.

Railroads. A track arrangements with three switches and three legs for reversing the direction of a
The Gaithersburg Wye Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, October 20, 2019
2. The Gaithersburg Wye Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
train.


[Captions:]
The Gaithersburg Wye dates back to 1888 to a time when Gaithersburg was experiencing a period of growth and modernization inspired by the opening of the Metropolitan Branch of the B&O Railroad.

The locomotive stopped at The Gaithersburg B & O Railroad Station and Freight Shed


*Historical information provided by Maryland Historical Trust
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
 
Location. 39° 8.454′ N, 77° 11.754′ W. Marker is in Gaithersburg, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Olde Towne Avenue close to Fulks Corner Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Old Towne Avenue, Gaithersburg MD 20877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. DNC Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Schwartz House / City Hall (about 600 feet away); John A. Belt Building (about 800 feet away); Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station (about 800 feet away); The Early Years (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Business of Agriculture:
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Gaithersburg Washington Grove Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); Serving the Community's Health Care Needs (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaithersburg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=141319

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 3, 2022