Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Larrys River in Guysborough County, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
 

Settlement of the Tor Bay Area circa 1797

 
 
Settlement of the Tor Bay Area circa 1797 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, August 27, 2019
1. Settlement of the Tor Bay Area circa 1797 Marker
Inscription.  
After many visits to this eastern coastline region of mainland Nova Scotia between the years 1763 and 1797, a determined group of Acadian families from Chezzetcook, who were once again searching for peace and freedom, decided that the isolation of this area would likely give them what they sought. The arrival of United Empire Loyalists from the United States in the 1780s meant that land preference was given to them, once again posing a threat to the Acadians. Although barren and rocky, here in the Tor Bay region, they would only have to concern themselves with the elements. So tired and fearful were these Acadians that several families decided to move before their certain eviction. From 1797 to 1805, families of Roy/Roi, Mannette, Pellerin, Avery, David, Richard, Petitpas, Bonin, Boudreau/Boudrot, Bellefontaine, and Fougère were given land grants in the Tor Bay and New Harbour areas. Soon after, they were joined by members of the Lavandier, Girouard/Gerior/Gerrior, Bonnevie, DeCoste, Boucher, Cashin, Benoît, Doiron, Deslauriers/Delorey, Déon/De Young, and Casey families from Tracadie, Pomquet, and Havre Boucher areas. These family
Tor Bay Area Map Painting image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, August 27, 2019
2. Tor Bay Area Map Painting
clusters settled in Havre Melasse (later named Port Felix), l'Anse à Charlo (Charlos Cove), and Larry's River. In later years, a rest stop between Guysborough and Larry's River called la Junction (Lundy), was settled by splintered members of these families. These communities were totally dependent on the fishery, hunting, and berries from the surrounding barrens for survival, with only enough farming to provide them with the basic staples of potatoes, turnips, carrots and cabbage. Sharing ensured their survival and their faith carried them through their many hardships. Spiritual needs were fulfilled at first by visiting priests from Ile Madame, Guysborough, and the Monastery (Tracadie area). In 1845, St. Joseph's Church was built in Port Felix, in 1876, St. Joseph's Church was built in Charlos Cove and in 1893, St. Peter's Church was built in Larry's River.

Today this region still has many of the original family names with many others that have since become important members these of communities. Although the fishery has changed greatly, it still plays a vital role in the survival of the area. Some family members have long left our coastal region to settle and make their contributions elsewhere in our country and our world. Many love to return to visit and share their pride of being Acadians which is very much alive in their hearts and ours as well. We love to tell our
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
story to all who will listen. Vive l'Acadie!

A près plusieurs visites à la côte est de la Nouvelle Ecosse entre 1763 et 1797, un groupe de familles Acadiennes de Chezzetcook qui cherchaient la paix et la liberté décident que cet endroit isolé leur donnerait ce qu'ils cherchaient. Les Acadiens, se voyaient encore une fois, menacés par l'arrivée en 1780 des Loyalistes des Etats-Unis. Même si la terre était rocheuse et infertile dans cette région, ils n'avaient qu'à répondre qu'àux éléments pour leur survie. Ils avaient tellement peur d'être encore une fois chassés qu'ils décidèrent de démenager le plus tôt possible. Entre 1797 et 1805 les familles Roi, Mannette, Pellerin, Avery, David, Richard, Pettipas, Bonin, Boudreau/Boudrot, Bellefontaine et Fougère reçoivent des terres aux alentours de Tor Baie et New Harbor. Peu après, elles furent rejointes par les familles de Lavandier, Girouard/Geroir/Gerroir, Bonnevie, DeCoste, Boucher, Cashin, Benoît, Doiron, Deslauriers/ Delorey, D'Eon/DeYoung et Casey provenant de Tracadie, Pomquet et Havre Boucher. Ces familles s'établissent à Havre Melasse (Port Félix), l'Anse à Charlo (Charlos Cove) et Larry's River. Quelques années plus tard, le village de Lundy (La Jonction) fut établi par les membres de ces familles. Ces communautés dépendent totalement de la pêche, la chasse et la récolte de baies pour leur survie. Ils partagent
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
leurs biens et leur foi les aide à traverser les périodes creuses. Les besoins spirituels leurs étaient donnés des prêtres en visite de l'le par Madame, de Guysborough et de Tracadie. En 1843, l'Église Saint-Joseph Félix, en 1876 l'Église Saint-Joseph fut construite à Charlos Cove et enfin en 1893 l'Église Saint-Pierre fut érigée à Larry's River. Aujourd'hui, construite à Port on trouve encore plusieurs noms des familles de ces temps-là, jumelés à d'autres noms dont les membres sont devenus depuis des membres clés de ces communautés. Quoique la pêcherie a connu un changement draconnien, beaucoup de gens dépendent toujours de celle-ci pour leur gagne-pain. Plusieurs membres de ces familles ont dû quitter la région pour gagner leur vie à d'autres endroits dans le monde.

Ils aiment toujours revenir en visite et d'exprimer leur fierté d'être de descendance Acadienne - une fierté qui est toujours vivante chez eux. Il nous fait grandement plaisir de raconter cette histoire à quiconque veut l'écouter. Vive l'Acadie!

Middle Inset:
CHARLOS COVE was settled about the year 1760, and named after one of the first Acadian settlers, Charles Richard, a fifth generation grandson of Michel Richard, who first came to Acadia in 1652 from Saintonge, France and settled in Belleisle, along the Annapolis River. After the expulsion of the Acadians in 1755 from Nova Scotia, many of the Acadians were deported throughout North America and Europe. In 1763 these same Acadians that survived the deportation were allowed to return to Nova Scotia, but were not allowed to settle on their former lands, so they resettled in very remote areas of the province, such as Charlos Cove.

In times of hardships and need the Acadians of Charlos Cove relied on one another as well as the Mi'kmaq aboriginal people to survive the harsh conditions of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. The Acadian settlers in this French community had the spirit and dedication to provide to their people many traditions and much pride in their heritage. The families of Charlos Cove were proud pioneering people, who held close the traditions of their exiled ancestors and show strength and unity in their small French speaking village.

(Marker Number 10.)
 
Location. 45° 13.31′ N, 61° 22.648′ W. Marker is in Larrys River, Nova Scotia, in Guysborough County. Marker is at the intersection of Marine Drive (Nova Scotia Route 316) and Ballfield Loop, on the right when traveling west on Marine Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Larrys River, Nova Scotia B0H 1T0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chezzetcook, Tracadie and Havre Boucher (here, next to this marker); The Resettlement (here, next to this marker); The Scattering of a People (here, next to this marker); The Great Upheaval 1755-1763 (a few steps from this marker); Grand-Pré (a few steps from this marker); Acadian Dyke Building Along the Bay of Fundy (a few steps from this marker); Founding Families of the Acadian Communities Along Tor Bay 1797-1900 (a few steps from this marker); Le Parc de nos Ancêtres (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Larrys River.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Settlement of the Tor Bay Area circa 1797.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 21, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement