Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Guthrie in Logan County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Gray Bros. Building

 
 
Gray Bros. Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
1. Gray Bros. Building Marker
Inscription.  Wm. H. "Harry" Gray, a naturalized Canadian, homesteaded the lot bearing the west half of this building. He staked it April 22, 1889 and immediately relocated his grocery and wholesale business from Udall, Kan. His brother, George, joined him in buying the corner lot, where they built in 1890 the elaborate brick and sandstone structure that commands the intersection.

Gray Bros. continued the grocery business, adding queensware and feed, in a frame building, razing it and adding the west half of the present structure in 1903. It can be distinguished by slightly different spacing of the cornice "torches" and facade treatment.

The west half housed Gray Bros. store followed by F.E. and J.F. Houghton's Bank Grocery and subsequent varied retail establishments. W.H. Gray kept an office on the 2nd floor, managing his extensive holdings.

The east half of the building originally housed the Bank of Indian Territory and later the Oklahoma State Bank. Guthrie's superintendent of schools had offices on the 2nd floor in 1892 and by 1893, the town's first telephone exchange was also there.

The property was leased in 1926 to Jelsma Abstract

Gray Bros. Building & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
2. Gray Bros. Building & Marker
Co., which company continues operation in 1981. A barber shop was located in the basement until the mid-1970's. The building's Russian capped oriel, beveled corner, elaborate metal cornices, arched windows, and combined use of native sandstone and dark red brick suggest it was a Joseph Foucart design.
 
Erected 1980 by the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation.
 
Location. 35° 52.679′ N, 97° 25.534′ W. Marker is in Guthrie, Oklahoma, in Logan County. Marker is on West Oklahoma Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101-103 West Oklahoma Avenue, Guthrie OK 73044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Smith’s 2-Story Privy (a few steps from this marker); Oklahoma Building (within shouting distance of this marker); De Steiguer Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First City Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Land Office (about 300 feet away); Guthrie National Bank (about 400 feet away); Guthrie Daily Leader (about 400 feet away); Foucart Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guthrie.
 
Categories. ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for Gray Bros. Building.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement