Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Tulare in Tulare County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Tuggleville

 
 
Tuggleville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Frank Gunshow Sanchez, October 14, 2017
1. Tuggleville Marker
Inscription.  On September 12,1936 a fire struck downtown Tulare destroying Al Tuggle's furniture store. A few months later W. A. "Al" and Enid Tuggle rebuilt their store in an open field South of Tulare exactly. 4 miles South of Bardsley Road on K Street (old highway 99). Eventually, they would construct other buildings around the store including their home located on what is known as Tuggle Street. Al Tuggle always said the name Tuggleville was created by Percy Whiteside, editor of the Advance Register. Al started using the slogan "watch Tuggleville grow” to promote the area. He would eventually place a Tuggleville sign in front of his store. Tuggleville's heyday was between 1937 and 1951. Many well-known individuals, families and businesses would become part of the history of Tuggleville, pharmacist Elliott H. "Pop" Moffett became the first official resident of this village. Al Tuggle would say Pop Moffett was actually the mayor and he was only the dog catcher. The demise of Tuggleville was not due to economic downfall or abandonment by businesses, but rather by the need for public utility and police/fire services. The citizens were initially
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
turned down by the county board of supervisors for a utility district, so the next step was to petition the city of Tulare for annexation. Tuggleville became part of the city of Tulare on October 4,1951.
 
Erected 2016 by Dr. Samuel Gregg George Chapter 1855 of E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 36° 11.784′ N, 119° 20.594′ W. Marker is in Tulare, California, in Tulare County. Marker is at the intersection of South K Street and East Bardsley Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South K Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tulare CA 93274, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tulare City, Main Southern Pacific Railroad Terminal, 1872-1892 (approx. mile away); First Airplane in Tulare County (approx. 1.6 miles away); Tulare Irrigation District (approx. 2.4 miles away); Rankin Aeronautical Academy (approx. 5.7 miles away); Packwood Station (approx. 9.1 miles away); Butterfield Overland Mail (approx. 9.7 miles away); Visalia Saddle (approx. 9.7 miles away); Visalia Times-Delta (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tulare.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Tuggleville.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2019, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 5 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 30, 2019, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement