Brooks Opera House
Some historic events of its golden years: the opening session of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention, and an address by William Jennings Bryan, the Great Populist, in a campaign tour. Lon Chaney, famed motion picture actor, began his career here as a stagehand. Later years saw the Brooks become the Avon motion picture theater before it was razed in 1967.
Erected 1980 by Donald W. Reynolds Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
Location. 35° 52.625′ N, 97° 25.476′ W. Marker is in Guthrie, Oklahoma, in Logan County. Marker is on East Harrison Avenue east of South Division Street (U.S. 77), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: East Harrison Avenue, Guthrie OK 73044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers.
Regarding Brooks Opera House. Constructed in 1899 by owner/manager James B. Brooks, this three-story limestone opera house seated 1,100 and contained ten finely appointed private boxes. It was furnished with folding upholstered chairs, steam heat, electric lights, hot and cold water, and other amenities.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.