Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Tulsa in Tulsa County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

West Tulsa

 

Tulsa's Historic Route 66

 
West Tulsa Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
1. West Tulsa Marker
Inscription.  Settlements on the west side of the Arkansas River proliferated following completion of the railroad bridge in 1883. After the Red Fork oil strike in 1901 scores of people moved to the area and it was annexed into Tulsa in September 1907. In addition to those working directly in the oil industry, other individuals were drawn to the area to provide the collateral services needed to support the new community. The vehicular bridge across the Arkansas River aligned with S. Quanah Avenue (now Southwest Boulevard), which was one block west of the street early residents thought would be the town center (Phoenix Avenue). Quanah Avenue and West 17th Street became the commercial core of West Tulsa. General stores, grocers, and drug stores provided necessities; hotels, and rooming houses provided temporary and semi-permanent housing; movie theaters and bars provided entertainment. Quanah Avenue was renamed Southwest Boulevard in 1957.

As expected along Route 66, during the mid-1930s the 1600 block of S. Quanah Avenue (Southwest Boulevard) provided services targeted toward motorists. There were three auto repair shops, three used

The view south on Southwest Boulevard (Old Route 66). image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
2. The view south on Southwest Boulevard (Old Route 66).
car and auto salvage businesses, and three filling stations, as well as two restaurants, a laundry, and the headquarters of the West Tulsa News. The 1700 block contained the variety of businesses present in a typical small town commercial center. In addition to the barber shops, cleaners, drug stores, and lodge halls, West Tulsa could boast of two movie theaters and two billiard halls.
 
Erected 2019 by Tulsa Route 66 Commission. (Marker Number 22.)
 
Location. 36° 8.21′ N, 96° 0.425′ W. Marker is in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in Tulsa County. Marker is at the intersection of Southwest Boulevard and West 17th Place, on the right when traveling south on Southwest Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1700 Southwest Boulevard, Tulsa OK 74107, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quanah Retail Center (approx. half a mile away); The Bridge that Saved Tulsa (approx. half a mile away); Mary Veasey Leech (approx. one mile away); Creek Stickball Park (approx. one mile away); Creek Nation Council Oak Memorial (approx. one mile away); Not Just a Ball Game (approx. one mile away); Cathedral Square (approx. 1.2 miles away); 10th Street & Main Street (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tulsa.
 
Categories.
View of reverse side of marker looking north. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
3. View of reverse side of marker looking north.
Industry & CommerceNatural ResourcesSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for West Tulsa.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement