Coventry in Tolland County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Washburn Mill & The Visitorís Center
The site held an early falling and scouring mill, from about 1815, that operated on and off until 1841. Fulling is a process to tighten, soften and shrink cloth by pounding it in a bath of soap or fullers earth. In 1841, mill owner John Boynton, sold the mill to H. Converse, Earl Smith and Alanson Washburn, all of Coventry. They built a dam across the brook near the existing "fire pond" and diverted the water through a new dug channel just behind the Visitors' Center Building to a shop they erected. It was a separate water course from the brook that existed until it was filled over in the 1950's.
Their foundry made stoves, pipes, kettles, sinks und gear blanks. It was two stories and about 30x90 feet in size. A tail race returned the water from the eight horsepower water wheel to the main brook.
Boynton and his son, Lyle, both expert brick masons, began work on the new Town Hall in the Spring of 1876. It was finished by fall. Here were located the Town Clerk, the Assessor and Tax Collector; the Probate Court and the then Justice Courts. Here met the Selectmen. A secure fireproof vault protected, with a combination lock in a heavy steel door, all of the Town Records that, for the first time, were brought together. The building served its intended purpose until the panic year of 1929 that saw the Tracy-Elliot Mills fall bankrupt. In lieu of back taxes, the Town took over the mill properties, including its large office building on Main Street (now the Bidwell Tavern). This building was refurbished, offices were built for officials, and a large vault was built inside for Town Records. Shortly, the 1876 Building was vacated and the Town Offices were moved into
In 1932, George Hersey Robertson was appointed Postmaster, and the Post Office was moved here from the Phillip's Drug Store on the corner of Mason Street. The 1876 Building was the Coventry Post Office through World War II. The Sebert Block was built shortly after in the lot located next to the Congregational Church on Main Street, and the Post Office moved into that facility. The 1876 Building was used, sporadically afterwards by the Justice Court and by civic groups from time to time, but gradually fell into disrepair. Several attempts were made to sell the building so that the property could go back n the tax rolls. Town Meeting and Councils, however, did not respond. Town budgets contained meager funds to provide minimum maintenance on the property.
With the coming of the Nation's Bicentennial in 1976, an Official Commission was formed and the 1876 Building was designated its headquarters. The building was restored and extensively used by the Commission and civic groups during and afterwards. Most recently (1989), at the request of the Town Council, the Coventry Historical Society refurbished the 1876 Building. It is now a Visitorís Center containing a changing series of interesting displays and items reflecting Coventry's history – and is one of the very few local operating visitors centers in Connecticut.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1195 Main Street, Coventry CT 06238, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Congregational Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Tracy Shoddy Mill (about 400 feet away); E.A. Tracy Wool Extract and Shoddy Mill (about 400 feet away); Thomas H. Woodís Silk Mill (about 700 feet away); South Coventry Village (about 800 feet away); Wellwoodís General Store / The Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Warfield Pond (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named South Coventry Village (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coventry.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for The Washburn Mill & The Visitorís Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. 5. submitted on November 10, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.