Coventry in Tolland County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The First Congregational Church
Over the almost three centuries of faithful witness in Coventry, the church has been served by thirty-one pastors. Its first was the longest tenured. The Reverend Mr. Joseph Meacham served this church for forty years, from 1712 to 1752. The Reverend Dr. Joseph Huntington enjoyed a lengthy pastorate from 1763-1794. The Reverend Dr. Huntington prepared Nathan Hale for his classes at Yale College. The Reverend Mr. Chauncy Booth also had a long pastorate, serving from 1815-1844. The Hale Family has a long association with this church. In 1804 the "Hale Donation"
Reverend Chauncey Booth
The Reverend Chauncy Booth was born in Coventry in 1783. He graduated from Vale in 1810 and went directly to Anderson Theological Seminary. He was ordained on September 20, 1815 and accepted a call to the ministry in Coventry. He served as Minister for this church from 1815 until 1844 and he died in Coventry in 1851. His grandson, Henry Farnum Dimock, bequeathed funds in 1911 to the South Coventry Library Association for a new library. In 1912-13 the Booth & Dimock Memorial Library was built and dedicated.
( photo captions )
- On March 19, 1903 the steeple of this church was destroyed by lightening. It was repaired for the sum of $5,605.63, which was covered by insurance. This picture postcard was taken as restoration was in progress.
- The church, in this 1909 postcard, with the repaired steeple and straighteden pillars. Church Lane, which lead to the homes at the back of the church, can be seen to the left. This road was closed when additional parking and driveway was made available to the right hand side of the church.
- Early 1900’s view of Main Street, J.S. Champlin became Burnam’s Store. It was bought by the church in 1972 and torn down. The home to the left of the store was bought by the church in 1984. It was moved to the back of thre church and became apartments. A large parking lot was created for the church in the 1980’s.
Location. 41° 46.077′ N, 72° 18.011′ W. Marker is in Coventry, Connecticut, in Tolland County. Marker is on Main Street (Connecticut Route 31) 0.2 miles east of Monument Hill Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coventry CT 06238, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Washburn Mill & The Visitor’s Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wellwood’s General Store / The Methodist Church (about 500 South Coventry Village (about 600 feet away); Booth and Dimock Memorial Library (about 600 feet away); The Tracy Shoddy Mill (about 700 feet away); E.A. Tracy Wool Extract and Shoddy Mill (about 700 feet away); Thomas H. Wood’s Silk Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named South Coventry Village (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coventry.
Also see . . . The First Congregational Church of Coventry. (Submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for The First Congregational Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.