Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Ardmore in Carter County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Daubes’ Store

 
 
Daubes’ Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 21, 2019
1. Daubes’ Store Marker
Inscription.  Daubes’ Department Store was a long time landmark on Main Street of Ardmore.

The original Daube Store was opened in Bowie, Texas, in 1883, and was owned by Sam Daube.

In about 1888, when the Ardmore area was in Pickens County, Indian Territory, and when Ardmore itself was only a crossroads village, Sam Daube came to Ardmore and entered into a business partnership with Max Munzesheimer. Their firm was known as Munsesheimer & Daube and their store was of the pioneer trading post pattern, selling groceries, hardware and implements as well as household merchandise. At that time, the store was located east of where the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway tracks now run. Because of its construction, the store acquired the name of the Iron Store, and to all the early settlers from far and wide it became their trading headquarters.

In the early 1900’s Sam Daube joined his brother, Dave Daube, and Max Westheimer, in their enterprise, known as the Blue front, and moved the store to this location. This firm was known as the Westheimer & Daube. Westheimer & Daube continued in business until 1937, when Sam and Dave acquired the Westheimer

Daubes’ Store Marker on left of building. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 21, 2019
2. Daubes’ Store Marker on left of building.
interest and the name was changed to Daube’s Department Store.

Daube’s survived two world wars, the Great Depression and has seen the plodding procession of carriages and wagons replaced by the bustling clamor of motor traffic.

The Daube Store was the cornerstore around which downtown Ardmore was built. The store witnessed the community’s growth to its current status as Oklahoma’s 14th largest city. The business closed in December 1990, after 102 as Oklahoma’s oldest privately owned family-operated independent retail store.
 
Erected by Ardmore Main Street Authority.
 
Location. 34° 10.351′ N, 97° 7.644′ W. Marker is in Ardmore, Oklahoma, in Carter County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Mill Street NE, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 East Main Street, Ardmore OK 73401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Killing of US Marshal Dow Braziel (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Temple 1896 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hotel Wisnor/Carter-Booker Building (about 400 feet away); Noble Brothers Hardware (approx. 0.2 miles away); Federal Courthouse (1898) (approx.

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
0.2 miles away); Ardmoreite Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Luke’s Music Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Randol Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ardmore.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 

More. Search the internet for Daubes’ Store.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement