Near Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
During WWII, the military brought or pressed into service all kinds of transport aircraft. Lockheed Lodestars were smaller and faster than the Douglas DC-3 aircraft that had become the industry standard. The USAAF commandeered over 50 early model Lodestars under the designations C-56, C-57, and C-59, but the definitive military Lodestar was the C-60 of which over 350 were built.
Most Lodestars were used for crew and paratroop training, moving freight, and transporting VIP passengers. As a fast, medium-range transport, they served adequately, but most were retired from military service before the end of the war. Afterwards, many were converted to plush civilian executive transports.
The museum's aircraft served in the USAAF at bases in Alabama from March 1943 until February 1945. It was sold to Capitol Airways in 1946 and reconverted to an executive transport in 1958. In 1990, it was acquired by the USAF Heritage program and displayed at the Museum of Aviation at Robins AFB, Georgia. In 2014, it was transferred to the AMC Museum.
Powerplant: Two 1,200-hp Wright R-1820 Cyclone radial engines
Maximum Speed: 257 mph
Range: 1,700 mi. with max payload
Service Ceiling: 25,000 ft
Max Takeoff Weight: 21,000 lb
Crew: Pilot, co-pilot, and observer
Payload: 18 passengers
Wing Span: 65 ft 6 in
Length: 49 ft 10 in
Height: 11 ft 1 in
The museum's C-60 is positioned at the base of the lowered ramp of a C-5M Super Galaxy of the 436th Airlift Wing, at Robins AFB, Georgia.
Above: C-60s were used in the U.S. to tow CG-4A gliders as part of aircraft and troop training programs.
C-60s could be configured with bench seats for 18 paratroops, airline seats for 12 passengers, or as seven-seat executive transport.
Lodestars used Wright R-1820 Cyclone engines were also used on B-17 Flying Fortresses.
The panoramic windows were added when the aircraft was converted to an executive transport.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • Industry & Commerce • War, World II. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1945.
Location. 39° 7.011′ N, 75° 27.386′ W. Marker is near Dover, Delaware , in Kent County. Marker can be reached from Heritage Road, 0.7 miles west of Bayside Drive (Delaware Route 9), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1301 Heritage Road, Dover AFB DE 19902, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C-45G (a few steps from this marker); LGM-30 (a few steps from this marker); U-3A (a few steps from this marker); C-5A (within shouting distance of this marker); KB-50J (within shouting distance of this marker); AN/GPN-20 Airport Surveillance Radar (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); KC-135E (about 300 feet away); C-121C (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.