Lorentz in Upshur County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Town named for Jacob Lorentz (1776–1866), who settled here in 1800. Near here in 1795 eighteen members of the Schoolcraft and Bozarth families were killed or taken prisoner during Native American raid. Here were located the first store, first tannery, first blacksmith shop, and first brick house in the county. The Staunton–Parkersburg Turnpike was constructed through town in 1843–44.
Erected 2002 by West Virginia Celebration 2000 and West Virginia Division of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
Location. 39° 0.762′ N, 80° 18.384′ W. Marker is in Lorentz, West Virginia, in Upshur County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 33 and the first Lorentz crossover when traveling east, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 33. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lorentz WV 26229, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Population Center (approx. The Bassel House (approx. 3 miles away); The History Center (approx. 4.1 miles away); Pringle Tree (approx. 4.2 miles away); In Tribute to and in Memory of Buckhannon Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. (approx. 4.2 miles away); Buckhannon / Frontier Days (approx. 4.2 miles away); Operation Desert Storm Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Destruction at the Courthouse (approx. 4.2 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is easy to miss if you are traveling east on the divided highway. Make a left at the first crossover for Lorenz.
Also see . . . History Of Lorentz Community. West Virginia Archives & History website entry:
1923 paper by A. J. Marple. “The first roads were mere trails. The first wagon road disregarded grades, and ran below the pike just in front of the Present church. In 1824 the Virginia Legislature authorized the building of a state road and it ran just above the pike through A. J. Berry’s lot and through the church lot, signs of which are yet visible. About the year 1843 or 1844 the present pike was built, known as the Staunton and Parkersburg turnpike, which is now being rebuilt and hard surfaced. Harrison H. Fury, the father of Mrs. G. W. Allman and Mrs. Scott Reger helped build this pike. The mattock, shovel, and sledge were the only equipment. A rod of road was laid out for each man to build. There was no loafing on the job. They (Submitted on December 8, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,078 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.