Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Williston in Williams County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Lesser Known Forts at the Confluence

 
 
Lesser Known Forts at the Confluence Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 16, 2019
1. Lesser Known Forts at the Confluence Marker
Map of the Confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone Rivers and the locations of the forts.
Inscription.  Fort Henry
Fort Henry was established in 1822 by the fur trading firm of Ashley and Henry. Intended as a supply depot for trapping expeditions up the Yellowstone and Missouri Rivers, it was deemed too far from the mountains and abandoned in 1823.

Fort William (first construction)
Fort William was established in 1833 to compete against nearby Fort Union. A year after its completion, it was sold to the American Fur Company, which also owned Fort Union. Fort William's stockade was then torn down and the lumber used at Fort Union for a variety of purposes.

Fort Mortimer
Fort Mortimer was built in 1842 by the Union Fur Company. Named for investor Mortimer Livingston, it was never a major competitor and sold out to the owners of Fort Union.

Fort William
The second Fort William was established in 1846 by Harvey, Prime, & Company. It was built on the site of Fort Mortimer, and used some of its former structures. The westward movement of the Assiniboine (the fort's major trading partners) led to Fort William's abandonment in 1858. Parts of Fort William may
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
have been used in the 1866 construction of nearby Fort Buford.
 
Erected by State Historical Society of North Dakota.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles.
 
Location. 47° 59.1′ N, 103° 59.366′ W. Marker is near Williston, North Dakota, in Williams County. Marker is at the intersection of 39th Lane Northwest and 153rd Avenue Northwest on 39th Lane Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15349 39th Lane Northwest, Williston ND 58801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mosquitoes (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Missouri-Yellowstone Confluence (about 400 feet away); Missouri-Yellowstone Confluence Area (about 500 feet away); A Beaver Boom (about 600 feet away); Fur Trade Forts (about 800 feet away); Buford-Trenton Project (about 800 feet away); Lewis & Clark's America (about 800 feet away); The Confluence (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williston.
 
More about this marker. This marker is on the grounds of the Missouri-Yellowstone Confluence Interpretive Center.
 
Lesser Known Forts at the Confluence Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 16, 2019
2. Lesser Known Forts at the Confluence Marker
The marker is beside the tree.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=143011

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024