Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fairmount Heights in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

James F. Armstrong House

908 59th Avenue

 

— Historic Site, Built c 1905 —

 
James F. Armstrong House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, November 29, 2019
1. James F. Armstrong House Marker
Inscription.  In 1911, James Armstrong was appointed a member of the building committee for the proposed Fairmount Heights Elementary School (now located at Addison Road and 61st Avenue). A few years later he was named Director of Manual Training School at Fairmount Heights Elementary. Mr. Armstrong served until 1919 as the Supervisor of Colored Schools in Prince George's County. He continued to be active in community affairs serving as chairman of the Citizen's Association and as one of the first Council members after the town was incorporated in 1935. Mr. Armstrong like many of the early settlers in Fairmount Heights was a graduate of the Tuskegee Institute and later Howard University Law School, graduating in 1904.

The James F. Armstrong House exhibits fine details with its wraparound porch, pediment and projecting bay. The Armstrong House is a wood frame, two-and-one-half story, cross-gabled house. The principle east façade has a gable front, and wing plan with the wing to the left and the gable front to the right. One entrance is in the second bay of the two bay wing; another entrance is in the first bay of the front gabled section. Both entrances
James F. Armstrong House image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, November 29, 2019
2. James F. Armstrong House
are sheltered by a one-story hip roof porch. The Armstrong House is an example of late Victoria domestic architecture and one of the nicest early dwellings in the Fairmount Heights Community.

Funded by the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development
Sponsored by the Town Council of Fairmount Heights

 
Erected 2016 by Town of Fairmount Heights, Maryland. (Marker Number 72-09-24.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities marker series.
 
Location. 38° 54.109′ N, 76° 54.938′ W. Marker is in Fairmount Heights, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on 59th Avenue just north of J Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 908 59th Avenue, Capitol Heights MD 20743, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Samuel Hargrove House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); Trammell-Taylor House (about 500 feet away); Robert S. Nichols House (about 600 feet away); Fairmount Heights Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); In Honor of the Men and Women of Fairmount Heights who Served in World War II
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Sylvan Vista Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Masonic Lodge No. 92 / The Columbine Chapter No. 46 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairmount Heights.
 
Categories. African AmericansArchitectureCharity & Public WorkEducation
 

More. Search the internet for James F. Armstrong House.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement