Williston in Williams County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fort Buford State Historic Site
In 1867, adobe barracks were constructed to house Fort Buford's enlisted men. Adobe, a useful material in the Southwest, did not stand up well to the elements in Dakota Territory. Within two years Fort Buford's barracks were beginning to fall apart. After much indecision, the adobe barracks were remodeled in 1873. Vertical siding, more windows, and a wood-framed kitchen/mess hall addition were the major improvements. The adobe barracks that once stood here also served as the fort's hospital from 1868 to 1871. In 1880, the building was again remodeled into a combination post library, school house, and court-martial room.
In addition to their traditional military duties, enlisted men sometimes built and maintained fort buildings, put up hay for the fort's livestock, cut wood for fuel, guarded the fort's cattle herd, tended the post garden, carried mail, and constructed telegraph lines. Soldiers were picked at random, and without prior training, to serve as cooks and sometimes as
Erected by State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles.
Location. 47° 59.191′ N, 104° 0.036′ W. Marker is in Williston, North Dakota, in Williams County. Marker can be reached from 39th Lane Northwest near 153rd Avenue Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williston ND 58801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Field Officers' Quarters (a few steps from this marker); Telegraph Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Parade Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Buford Historic Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Buford State Historic Site (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Trader's Complex (about 600 feet away); Powder Magazine (approx. 0.2 miles away); Guardhouse and Officer of the Guard Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williston.
More about this marker. This marker is on the grounds of Fort Buford State Historic Site.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.