Waterloo in Monroe County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Braun Property
212 South Main
— Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
This historic building, known officially as Tax Lot 2 in Block 8 of Waterloo, dates back to the year 1845 and has served many purposes throughout the years. Unfortunately, we have no record of what it was used for in its earliest years, other than one picture from the late 1800's that reads “S. Ruegheimer Grocery,” which is pictured at right. What we do know, through deed records, is the property was first given to James Burk by John Morrison in 1845 and then three years later was transferred to Jolus Morrison. Morrison kept the property for six years, then sold it to Henry Beadelier in 1854. Bedelier quickly got rid of the property, only owning it for five days before selling it to Valentine Christman. Christman did not keep the property long either, selling it after about three months to George Scmidtt. Schmidtt held on to the property for six years and then sold it to John Braun in 1860. Braun owned the property the longest out of any owner, possessing it for nearly 45 years.
In 1899, John Braun got a loan for 5600 from Herman Koch and put the deed for this property, along with 200 other acres, up for collateral.
There were many businesses located here under Albert Rehmer's ownership. First, it was Reimer's Luncheonette. In 1959, it became Miller’s Luncheonette, operated by Mr. & Mrs. Robert Miller.Two years later, it was Mom & Pop's Luncheonette and then between 1964 through 1968 was known as Donna's Cafe. In 1969, the building housed Willie's Meat Shop. We aren't sure of the year, but a short time later this building changed from a restaurant to a retail space, becoming home to Burmeister Shoe store and then to The Shoe Box, which caught fire in 1976.
Albert Rehmer sold the property to his son, Randy Rehmer in March of 1977. In the early 1980s, The Electric Outlet Family Arcade was in business here. Myrtle Voris was the next owner, purchasing the building from Rehmer in 1983 and owning it until 1993 when it was sold to Robert Voris and Jean Jost. They only owned it for six months and the property was sold to David and Cecelia Miller. Just a year later, the Millers sold it to Shawn Wilson. From 1990 through the year 2000 the building was used as an Edward Jones office, first for financial advisor David Reed and then for Ted Kirkpatrick. In October 2001, Gregory and Heather Kipping bought the building and remodeled it for Heather to operate a nail salon, called The Nail Nook.
Most recently, the building was bought by the Schmidt family and completely renovated, stripped down to its original brick walls to become the Vintage Wine Bar.
Recorded by Gibault Students Veronica Southworth & Brock Vonderheide
Placed by the Waterloo Beautification Committee 2017
Erected 2017 by Waterloo Beautification Committee.
Location. 38° 20.086′ N, 90° 8.997′ W. Marker is in Waterloo, Illinois, in Monroe County. Marker is on South Main Street north of East 4th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 South Main Street, Waterloo IL 62298, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Odd Fellows Building (a few steps from this marker); Harrisonville Telephone Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry's Grocery (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe County Bicentennial Bandstand (within shouting distance of this marker); The Garretson Home (within shouting distance of this marker); The Adelsberger House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Küenster Building (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Küenster Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterloo.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for The Braun Property.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2019. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2019. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.