History of Camano/Camano City
History Of Camano/Camano City
(Early records often interchanged these place names)
In 1898 the Esary brothers with assistance from Porter Garrison and sons established one of Camano's major logging companies, in the area surrounding the schoolhouse. They also collaborated as landowners and developers.
From 1908 to 1910 the Camano Commercial Company operated a narrow-gauge, logging railway that climbed the hill along the north side of nearby Chapman Creek.
Between 1900 and 1910 local entrepreneurs touted "Camano” as growing, vibrant "metropolis” with unlimited potential. An inland acre sold for $20 to $40. A waterfront acre sold for $75.
When the schoolhouse was built around 1905, Camano City was a thriving community with two hotels, a general store, post office, a blacksmith, several shingle mills, a boatyard, and Saratoga Passage wharf. A variety of "steamers" provided frequent ferry services, west to Whidbey, south to Seattle, to points north on Camano Island and along the Skagit River.
But, by 1927 the Camano Commercial Company dissolved, and dreams of "Camano City”
At the Camano City Schoolhouse & Community Hall,
the Camano Schoolhouse Foundation/CSF will recreate
the distinctive yesteryear ambience of a 1905 classroom.
The rejuvenated Community Hall will become a rental
venue for a diverse mix of family Education and
and entertainment events that illuminate and Preserve
for Posterity, the intriguing history of all eras of
early Camano Island life.
Erected by Camano Schoolhouse Foundation.
Location. 48° 10.498′ N, 122° 31.626′ W. Marker is in Camano, Washington, in Island County. Marker is at the intersection of Orchid Road and West Chapman Road, on the left when traveling south on Orchid Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 993 Orchid Road, Camano Island WA 98282, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camano City Schoolhouse and Community Hall History (here, next to this marker); Utsalady Historic Site (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Crockett Blockhouse (approx. 6.7 miles away); Guarding the Entrance to Puget Sound – Coast Artillery Corps (approx. 7.1 miles away); The Jolly Boat (approx. 7.7 miles away); Col. Isaac Neff Ebey – Rebecca Whitey Ebey
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for History of Camano/Camano City.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.