Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waterloo in Monroe County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Peterstown and the Merchant Prince

 
 
Peterstown and the Merchant Prince Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Thomas Smith, December 12, 2019
1. Peterstown and the Merchant Prince Marker
Inscription.  The north end of Waterloo was originally called Peter's Town, for Emery Peter Rogers, 1795-1859. Coming from Massachusetts in 1816, he started with 5 acres here on the west side of the Kaskaskia Trail, where he operated a grist mill, woolen mill, rope factory, carding mill, cider mill, carriage factory, brickyard and quarry, in addition to his general store. He developed a large commercial business, with markets in St. Louis and New Orleans. In 1843 he built a large brick residence and hotel on the east side of Main Street with 14 rooms and 12 fireplaces. The second floor was used as a hall for the Masonic lodge. "Peter" Rogers was County Treasurer in 1827, and County Commissioner 1834-1838, and 1846-1849.

His father, Elder Peter Rogers, 1755-1849, came to Waterloo in 1828. He was a Revolutionary War soldier, enlisting as a fife-major Nov. 26, 1776, and served Gen Geo. Washington as chaplain, aide de camp and life guard. He participated in many battles, including Valley Forge. As commander of the ship "Trumbull," he took a sloop as prize. He was discharged Dec. 31, 1779. He was one of the first to clear Monroe Co. forests and make
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
improvements. As an ordained minister he preached 60 years, delivering a sermon in the Waterloo Baptist Church in 1845 at the age of 90.

Both father and son are buried in the Waterloo Cemetery.
 
Erected 1976 by The Charles Grosse & Son Lumber Co., William Sr., William Jr. and Kurt Grosse.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is October 26, 1776.
 
Location. 38° 20.533′ N, 90° 9.045′ W. Marker is in Waterloo, Illinois, in Monroe County. Marker is on North Main Street just south of Columbia Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 275 North Main Street, Waterloo IL 62298, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Millstones (here, next to this marker); Kolmer Family Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); The Schatte Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kaskaskia Cahokia Trail (approx. ¼ mile away); Ford (approx. ¼ mile away); Ford Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Metzger-Crook Post 6504 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterloo.
 
Marker with additional plaques image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Thomas Smith, December 12, 2019
2. Marker with additional plaques
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2019, by Thomas Smith of Waterloo, Ill. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 12, 2019, by Thomas Smith of Waterloo, Ill. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide-view photo of the marker in context once the work on the house is complete. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=143475

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024