Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Lewistown in Fergus County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Thompson-Lewis House

 
 
Thompson-Lewis House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 18, 2019
1. Thompson-Lewis House Marker
Inscription.  Stone buildings constructed by skilled Croatian stonemasons are intrinsic to Lewistown’s unique personality. Peter Tuss, who built this home with Anthony Weingart in 1902, was one such prominent craftsman. Constructed for Citizens’ Electric Company president John L. Bright, the home’s roughly coursed sandstone reveals the stonemason’s art and skill of its builder. The cubic form, low-pitched roof, wide overhanging eaves, and open porch with massive tapered columns define the newly emerging Prairie style. In 1905, Rufus B. Thompson, a prominent sheep rancher, Fergus County legislator, and president of the Empire Bank and Trust Company, acquired the deed. Thompson, his wife Immergene, and their five children used the residence as an “in-town” home. The addition at the back housed the Thompsons’ caretaker, Bill Freeman, whose parents were freed slaves. Bill’s family adopted the name “Freeman” after the Civil War. Rufus Thompson was a large man weighing in at 325 pounds. When he died in 1914, the entire community mourned his great heart and exceptional good humor. Ownership of the property remained in the Thompson family,
Thompson-Lewis House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 18, 2019
2. Thompson-Lewis House and Marker
passing to relatives Ronald and Helen Lewis in the 1940s. From 1943 to 1948, the residence served as the Church of Christ. Since 1948, it has been home to members of the Lewis family. Today, the gracious interior survives with details intact. Lincrusta wainscoting, wood trim with its original finish, paneled staircase, colonnades separating the parlor and dining room, a green marble fireplace, butler’s pantry with built-in china closets, and vintage light fixtures preserve the home’s period ambience.
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society; Department of the Interior, National Register of Historic Places.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program marker series.
 
Location. 47° 3.858′ N, 109° 25.97′ W. Marker is in Lewistown, Montana, in Fergus County. Marker is at the intersection of 7th Avenue North and West Broadway Street, on the left when traveling north on 7th Avenue North. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 7th Avenue North, Lewistown MT 59457, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Abraham and Mary Walton Hogeland House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lehman Bunkhouse (about 800 feet away); Courthouse Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Attix Clinic
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); 521 West Main (approx. 0.2 miles away); McDonald and Charters Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Phillips Drug Company (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewistown.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for Thompson-Lewis House.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 13, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement