Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Ste. Genevieve in Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

First Brick House West of Mississippi River

 
 
First Brick House West of Mississippi River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, December 12, 2019
1. First Brick House West of Mississippi River Marker
Inscription.  
First Brick House
West of the Mississippi River
Built in 1785
First American court
held here

 
Location. 37° 58.729′ N, 90° 2.756′ W. Marker is in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, in Ste. Genevieve County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and Market Street, on the left when traveling south on 3rd Street. Marker is mounted on the Old Brick House restaurant. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90 3rd Street, Sainte Genevieve MO 63670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. El Camino Real (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Sainte Genevieve Parish (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sainte Genevieve (about 600 feet away); Louis Bolduc House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Merchants Bank / Ste. Genevieve Savings Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Illinois in the American Revolution (approx. 8.2 miles away in Illinois); The Liberty Bell of the West (approx. 8.2 miles away in Illinois); Lewis and Clark in Kaskaskia (approx. 8.2 miles away in Illinois). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ste. Genevieve.
 
Regarding First Brick House West of Mississippi River.
First Brick House West of Mississippi River image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, December 12, 2019
2. First Brick House West of Mississippi River
Marker is mounted on the right side of the building
The brick house was built by John Price, a Kentuckian who was a local merchant and ferry operator between Ste. Genevieve and Kaskaskia. A local legend claims that the bricks used to build it were hand-made in France and brought over to North America. It is said that the house was at one time used a courthouse and a school. A fur trading post was later built in the back. The cellar of the house was the quarters for the slaves. The house was later known as the Shaw House. As of December 2019, a restaurant is in operation, fittingly known as The Old Brick House.

While the marker says 1785 was the year it was built, many researchers have suggested other years, including 1780, 1790 and between 1800 to 1804. According to Missouri: A Guide to the Show-Me State (published in 1941, p. 274), Price's house was sold by Sheriff Henry Dodge to Joseph Pratt. Dodge would serve as a U.S. Marshal, a captain while fighting in the War of 1812, and would become the first of two U.S. Senators to represent Wisconsin.
 
Also see . . .  History of our Town. An article that talks about the history of the Old Brick House and its builder, John Price (published by The Ste. Genevieve Herald on March 14, 1969). (Submitted on December 13, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
First Brick House West of Mississippi River image. Click for full size.
Piaget-van Ravenswaay Survey / HABS (courtesy of the Library of Congress), 1935
3. First Brick House West of Mississippi River
 

More. Search the internet for First Brick House West of Mississippi River.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 13, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement