Clarkesville in Habersham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Grace Protestant Episcopal Church
In 1841, the Rev. J B. Gallagher succeeded as Rector. Under his guidance, this building, begun in 1839, was completed in 1842. It was consecrated Oct 6, 1842 by the Rt. Rev. Stephen Elliott, JR., (first) Bishop of Georgia, who reported it as "a very neat wooden building, with tower and bell, prettily located and an ornament to the village."
Among prominent early members were: Richard W. Habersham, Sr. John R. Mathews, Wardens: Alexander Erwin, Benjamin F. Patton. George D. Phillips, John R. Stenford. Samuel A. Wales,
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 068-8.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 34° 36.957′ N, 83° 31.41′ W. Marker is in Clarkesville, Georgia, in Habersham County. Marker is at the intersection of Wilson Street and East Green Street, on the right when traveling north on Wilson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clarkesville GA 30523, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clarkesville War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Habersham County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toombs-Bleckley House (approx. ¼ mile away); Living & Learning In The Mountains (approx. 1.6 miles away); Summer Home of Joseph Habersham (approx. 1.9 miles away); Habersham Iron Works & Mfg. Co. (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Unicoi Turnpike (approx. 3.1 miles away); Piedmont College (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarkesville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 959 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 12, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.