New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
304 West 10th Street
The Building’s History
The site of the building had been part of the property of wealthy merchant Abraham Van Nest, which included a 4-story house on the corner and a 2-story house next door, sold in 1865 after his death. The property was acquired inn1972 by Charles Shultz, than a brick manufactured at “the foot of” West 11th Street, who resided at 621 Greenwich Avenue (by 1875, Shultz was a merchant on West 30th Street). This tenement building, constructed in 1873 to the design of William E. Waring, originally houses eight families and a store. Shultz retained the building until 1890, after which it was owned by Catherine and Ellen C. Atfield and members of the Sweeney family. In 1896, the ground story contained the saloon known as “The Plug Hat,” “On account of the schooners of beer set up holding nearly as much as could be put in a tall hat,” according to The New York Times.
After a partition sale, the property was transferred in 1898 to Patrick Skelly, a prominent and wealthy Irish-born brewer and distiller. In 1876, Skelly and another brewer-distiller, Patrick A. Fogarty,
The Skelly family retained No. 304 West 10th Street until 1948. One tenant (c. 1922-29) was Walter G. Kauff, a clerk at the U.S. Customshouse. The Weehawken Bar & Grill was the ground-story commercial occupant from at least 1935 to 1960. Rose Rivers purchased the property in 1948, “intending to remodel the building into modern apartments,” and filed plans by architect Joseph Lau. It was foreclosed in 1956 and reverted to the estate of Genevieve C. Skelly McLouchlin (who died in 1956) and Emily H.
Built during the second significant phase of the historic district’s development, when it continued to be improved with residential and industrial structures in the late 19th century, this handsome Italianate style tenement and store building. still substantially intact, contributes to the historically-mixed architectural character and varied uses – much of it maritime-related – of the Weehawken Street Historic District.
The building is clad in brick (now painted), with cast-iron segmental lintels and decorative sills, a segmental cast-iron entrance hood on the West 10th Street façade, and a surviving cast-iron pilaster on the ground story at the south end of the Weehawken Street façade. It features a prominent bracketed, denticulated, and modified pressed metal cornice that has a bowed section on each façade with decorative panels. To the east of the east end of the West 10th Street façade, there is an entrance to the side yard, with a segmental-arched brick enframement with cast-iron keystone and end blocks, corbeled cornice, and decorative iron gates. The visible eastern wall is pierced by windows. There are fire escapes on both major facades.
Location. 40° 43.992′ N, 74° 0.579′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of West 10th Street and Weehawken Street, on the right when traveling east on West 10th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 W 10th St, New York NY 10014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Weehawken Street (a few steps from this marker); Weehawken Street Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); 134 Charles Street (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Archive (about 600 feet away); Boyhood Home of Bret Harte (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Luke's Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marquis de Lafayette (approx. 0.2 miles away); 4-10 Grove Street (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for 304 West 10th Street.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2020. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 1, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.