University City in St. Louis County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Magazine Building
Herbert C. Chivers (1869-1946), Architect
Ralph Chesley Ott (1875-1931), Painter William T. Bailey (1857-1922), Sculptor
In 1903, the Lewis Publishing Company built its octagonal headquarters on open farmland, near the site of the St. Louis World's Fair. "The Magazine Building," as it was popularly known, took its name from the company's principal publication, the Woman's Magazine, which had a circulation of 1.6 million. In its rich Classical decoration and modern steel frame construction, it exemplifies turn-of-the-century enthusiasm for beauty and new technology. A curving marble staircase dominates the rotunda, where allegorical murals depict the life of the company's founder, Edward Gardner Lewis. Occupying the fifth floor is a formal, vaulted chamber; on the domed roof, beneath an ornamental crown, stands a powerful searchlight.
E.G. Lewis was a publisher, salesman, banker, educator, inventor and innovative real estate developer. As a setting for his office building, he created a graceful
Erected 1994 by The Historical Society of University City.
Location. 38° 39.408′ N, 90° 18.63′ W. Marker is in University City, Missouri, in St. Louis County. Marker is at the intersection of Delmar Boulevard and Princeton Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Delmar Boulevard. Marker is mounted by the steps of University City City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6801 Delmar Boulevard, Saint Louis MO 63130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harriet Woods (within shouting distance of this marker); What's in a Name? (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rogers Hornsby (about 600 feet away); Charles M. Russell (about 600 feet away); William Greenleaf Eliot (about 600 feet away); Walker Evans (about 600 feet away); Ed Macauley (about 600 feet away); Fontella Bass (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in University City.
Regarding The Magazine Building. The building, as part of University City Plaza, was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 7, 1975.
Also see . . . City Hall (University City, Missouri) on Wikipedia. (Submitted on January 11, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Categories. • Architecture • Communications • Education • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for The Magazine Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2020. This page originally submitted on January 11, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 11, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.