Near Folkston in Charlton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Trader's Hill (Fort Alert)
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 024-9.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Forts and Castles • Military • Notable Places • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
Location. 30° 47.791′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Folkston GA 31537, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Masonic Lodge in Charlton County (here, next to this marker); Oldest Industry in Charlton (here, next to this marker); Sardis Church (approx. half a mile away); Okefenokee Swamp (approx. 2.8 miles away); Henry Roddenberry (approx. 3 miles away); Charlton County (approx. 3 miles away); Central Dixie Highway (approx. 3 miles away); Center Village or Centerville (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Folkston.
Regarding Trader's Hill (Fort Alert). Traders Hill is a historical site that has been used by the Indians, the Spanish, the English, and American Colonials. Daniel Boone reportedly used this site on some of his southern hunting expeditions. Sailors came up this far to get fresh water that was known to stay "fresh" for long periods. Known in the 1700s as Fort Alert, early settlers sought refuge at the fort during Indian Wars.
Its location at the head of navigation on the St. Marys River made it an important trading center in the Southeast. In 1854 it became the county seat of Charlton County, and maintained that distinction until 1901 when Folkston, flourishing along the old S.F. & W. Railroad from Savannah to Jacksonville, became the new county seat.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2008, by Randy Rain of Sanderson, Florida. This page has been viewed 3,337 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 16, 2008, by Randy Rain of Sanderson, Florida. 2. submitted on February 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.