Waterman is credited with founding Cordelia, named for his wife, in 1850, In 1851, Josiah Wing founded Suisun City, which proved to be a better shipping point. This prompted Waterman to found the neighboring city of Fairfield in 1856, shifting his attention away from Cordelia.
Cordelia was originaly established about a mile north of its present location, at the head of Cordelia Slough near the abandoned Santa Eulalia Mission (built in 1824 and run by Chief Solano), where a small settement already existed. However, in 1868 the town was relocated closer to the newly constructed transcontinental railroad. The new location was named Bridgeport (after Cordelia Waterman's hometown in Connecticut). However, the post office objected to the new name claiming it was not unique, so the town once
Hunters found the nearby Suisun Marsh to be a great location for game, Pictured second from right is Chris Dunker, son of Henry Dunker, one of the first German immigrants to setle in Cordelia. Henry owned the Dunker Brothers' Slaughterhouse, built many of the Victorian homes in the area and played a significant role in the development of Cordelia, Photo ca. 1890.
Green Valley Schoolhouse
Built around 1870, this one room schoolhouse was located on Ritchie Road about 500 feet north of Cordelia Road. The building had two sets of stairs leading to two front doors, the girls entered through one and the boys through the other. In 1883, a bell tower was added that has since been relocated to Green Valley Middle School. Dan White, (the tall figure toward the right in the back row) was the schoolmaster at the time this photo was taken. He went on to serve as Superintendent for the Green Valley School District for 40 years. The old schoolhouse
was damaged by fire in 2003 and torn down in 2006, but the unusual tree to the right of the structure remains. Photo ca. 1890.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers • Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thompson's Corner Saloon - 1902 (approx. ¼ mile away); Cordelia: A Thriving Town (approx. ¼ mile away); Cordelia (approx. ¼ mile away); Cordelia and the Fire (approx. ¼ mile away); Village of Cordelia Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Burial Site of Chief Solano (approx. 1.8 miles away); Rockville Station (approx. 2½ miles away); Rockville Stone Chapel (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cordelia.
More about this marker. The marker is located on Cordelia Road, just a few steps to the east of where Cordelia undercrosses I-680.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 26, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.