Wortham in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Wortham
Situated on grant given 1834 by Mexico to Robert B. Longbotham (1797-1883), a Texas colonist from England who settled here in 1839. Years later, in 1871, when Houston & Texas Central Railway was planned through the area, R. B. Longbotham sold right of way through his land for token sum of $5, and townsite was bought from him by investors. Although town was platted as "Tehuacana", post office was established Nov. 10, 1871, as Long Bottom, for original landowner. In 1874 name again changed, to honor Col. Luther Rice Wortham, a merchant instrumental in securing railway for area. Wortham was incorporated in 1910, but remained a modest market town until the 1920s, when rumors of oil attracted such prospectors as hotel man Conrad Hilton, who soon left when wells yielded salt water. A Thanksgiving Day gusher in 1924 opened the boom. Population leaped from 1,000 to over 30,000 at once. Law enforcement was impossible, housing inadequate, but in time the town met its obligations. Churches and schools prospered. The municipal band was the official band of 1926 United Confederate Veterans' Convention in Birmingham, Ala. Intensive drilling had
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9914.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is November 10, 1871.
Location. 31° 47.256′ N, 96° 27.851′ W. Marker is in Wortham, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is on TX-14, on the left when traveling north. Located in Wortham City Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 TX-14, Wortham TX 76693, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Wortham Oil Boom (here, next to this marker); United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rev. G.W. Bounds (within shouting distance of this marker); Blind Lemon Jefferson (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mrs. Lucy Haggard Longbotham (approx. 0.7 miles away); Robert B. Longbotham (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tehuacana Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); William Rees (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wortham.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 31, 2020, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 31, 2020, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.