They Brought Alameda the News
Paul's Newstand Re-dedicated April 30, 2011
Joseph Roschitsch, known to family and friends as "Joe", was the oldest child of Max and Katherine Roschitsch, immigrants from Austria. The family settled in Alameda at 1832 San Antonio Avenue where they raised seven children. Joe sold newspapers at Chestnut Station in the morning, crossing town to sell the later paper at the corner of Santa Clara Avenue and Park Street. Known for his small stature and shuffling walk, he kept to his schedule rain or shine, contributing to the support of his family.
TEMPERATURE REACHES 100 DEGREE MARK AGAIN
Oakland Tribune: September 22, 1939
A prolonged heat spell hit the Bay Area in the fall of 1939, making
SHELTER FOR NEWSY COMPLETED
Alameda Times-Star: January 2, 1940
Following Joe's loss, the newsstand was built in December, 1939 for the next news vendor to claim this highly traveled corner -Paul Manning. A native of Pennsylvania, Manning was confined to a wheelchair after losing the use of his legs in an automobile accident in 1922. The sale of newspapers supported his family which included three young children. Park Street merchants, propelled by John J. Mulvany, Vice President of the Bank of America, and city officials, provided materials for the stand. Mr. Mulvany regularly bought morning newspapers from Paul and felt badly for him sittingout in the rain. The building was constructed by boys learning the carpenter's trade in a workshop run by the National Youth Administration, a New Deal agency operated as part of the federal government's Works Progress Administration (WPA).
NEWS DEALER IS HAPPY OVER GIFT
Oakland Tribune: July 22, 1942
Previously equipped with electric light, heat, and a radio, the newsstand received a public address system in 1942 so that Manning could broadcast breaking stories. During World War II, the newsstand was a major gathering point for Alamedans eager for news of the war. Paul Manning operated the business until his death on July 25, 1949, whereupon it was run by members of his family until the late 1980s.
HISTORIC NEWSSTAND RE-BORN
Alameda Sun: August 18, 2006
Over the ensuing years, several vendors sold daily papers from the stand. In 2006 Larry Trippy, a former Marine from New York, took over the job. Affectionately called the "Prince of Park Street,” Larry was well-known and well-liked. According to the Park Street Business Association publication Straight from the Street, "Larry always had a happy face and a kind word for anyone who walked by the newsstand, whether you bought a paper or not." Alameda was saddened when Larry suddenly passed away on February 9, 2010. As with the keepers of the stand before him,the district was missing a familiar icon with his passing. Paul's Newsstand is an Alameda institution-the last of its kind. With the public's support and respect it will continue to be a place to read the news, have a conversation, and exchange a smile, as it has been for so many years.
Historical marker made possible by the family of Joe Roschtisch, the San Francisco Chronicle, Alameda Museum, & Alameda Architectural Society.
Story & Design: Valerie Turpen, Marker Creation: Gil Garitano, Photos: Jack Lubeck, Cheryl Berg, & David J. Duffin
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 37° 45.93′ N, 122° 14.519′ W. Marker is in Alameda, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of Santa Clara Avenue and Park Street, on the right when traveling north on Santa Clara Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alameda CA 94501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alameda City Hall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alameda City Hall, 1895-96 (about 600 feet away); Alameda’s First Church (about 700 feet away); Alameda Lodge No. 1015 (about 700 feet away); Historic Alameda High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clark Memorial Bench (approx. half a mile away); ATK Baseball Field (approx. half a mile away); Webster House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alameda.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 11, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 12, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.