Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
 

A Legacy of Tea / Du thé en héritage

People Waiting Making Art Public / Rendre l’art public

 

— Harbour Passage Trail —

 
A Legacy of Tea / Du thé en héritage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 13, 2019
1. A Legacy of Tea / Du thé en héritage Marker
Inscription.  
English:
In 1867, brothers George and William Barbour started a wholesale operation on South Market Wharf supplying fish, eggs, poultry and other local goods to vessels and area retailers. Although the building burned in the Great Fire of 1877, the business was rebuilt and taken over in 1895 by George's son, George E. Barbour, giving the company the name it still bears today.

In 1967, G.E. Barbour moved its headquarters and manufacturing to Sussex, New Brunswick, but left a presence in Saint John with Barbour's General Store. This authentic mid-1800's country store was bought by the company to celebrate the shared 100th anniversary of the business and of Canada. Originally located in Sheffield, New Brunswick, it has been completely restored and stocked with period merchandise from candy to clothing. After several years on King Street East, the store now stands within sight of the original Barbour business at Market Slip.

"My hope is that people will be involved and interested in the sculpture, and get to know these (wooden) people as well as I do." John Hooper (1927-2006)

People
Marker detail: Barbour's General Store image. Click for full size.
Courtesy New Brunswick Museum X13130
2. Marker detail: Barbour's General Store
English:
Originally located in Sheffield, the store was completely renovated by G.E. Barbour Co. in 1967 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of both the company and Canada.

Français:
Situé à l'origine à Sheffield, le magasin est entièrement rénové par la G.E. Barbour Co. en 1967 afin de célébrer le 100e anniversaire de la compagnie et du Canada.
Click or scan to see
this page online
fascinated John Hooper. He received the Order of Canada for creating public sculptures that celebrate the extraordinary in ordinary people, such as his Terry Fox bronze near Parliament Hill in Ottawa. People Waiting, carved from Phillipine mahogany, was commissioned by Canada Post in 1975 as part of a federal program dedicating 1% of public building costs to art. The humour of these larger-than-life figures breaks down barriers to art and invites viewers to interact with and become part of the sculpture.

Français:
En 1867, les frères George et William Barbour ouvrirent un commerce de gros sur le quai South Market, où ils vendent du poisson, des œufs, de la volaille et, d'autres denrées locales aux navires et aux détaillants de la région. Bien que le bâtiment soit détruit lors du Grand Incendie de 1877, le commerce est reconstruit, et c'est le fils de George, George E. Barbour, qui prend la relève en 1895 et lui donne le nom que l'on connaît encore aujourd’hui.

En 1967, G.E. Barbour établit son siège social et ses installations manufacturières à Sussex, au Nouveau-Brunswick, mais conserve une présence à Saint John grâce au magasin général Barbour's. La compagnie fait l'acquisition de cet authentique magasin rural du milieu du 19e siècle afin de célébrer le 100e anniversaire tant de l'entreprise que du Canada. Situé à l'origine
Marker detail: Horse-drawn Sloven image. Click for full size.
Courtesy New Brunswick Museum
3. Marker detail: Horse-drawn Sloven
English:
Horse-drawn slovens (local term) hauled wooden crates of tea to North Market Wharf to be loaded onto schooners for delivery to ports throughout the Maritimes.

Français:
Des haquets tirés par des chevaux transportent, au quai North Market, des caisses de thé qui seront chargées à bord de goélettes à destination de divers ports des Maritimes.
à Sheffield, au Nouveau-Brunswick, le magasin est entièrement restauré et approvisionné en marchandises d'époque, des bonbons jusqu'aux vêtements. Après plusieurs années rue King Est, le magasin se trouve maintenant à Market Slip, à portée de vue de l'entreprise originale des Barbour.

« Ce que j'espère, c'est que les gens s'impliqueront dans la sculpture et s'y intéresseront, et en viendront à connaître ces personnages (en bois) aussi bien que je les connais ». John Hooper (1927-2006)

John Hooper était fasciné par les gens. Il a été décoré de l'Ordre du Canada pour avoir créé des sculptures publiques qui célèbrent le caractère extraordinaire de gens ordinaires, tel son bronze de Terry Fox, installé près de la Colline du Parlement, à Ottawa. L'œuvre People Waiting, sculptée dans de l'acajou des Philippines, a été commandée par Postes Canada en 1971 dans le cadre d'un programme fédéral qui consacre 1 % du coût des édifices publics à des œuvres d'art. L'humour de ces personnages plus grands que nature fait tomber les barrières de l'art et invite les spectateurs à interagir avec la sculpture et à en faire partie.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
 
Location. 45° 16.36′ N, 66° 3.751′ 
Marker detail: King Cole Tea image. Click for full size.
Courtesy New Brunswick Museum
4. Marker detail: King Cole Tea
English:
A truckload of King Cole tea is being loaded for delivery to stores throughout the Maritimes, circa 1925.

Français:
Un camion reçoit un chargement de thé King Cole qui sera livré à des commerces aux quatre coins des Maritimes (vers 1925).
W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker is on Market Square just east of Water Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of Barbour’s General Store. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 North Market Street, Saint John, New Brunswick E2L 2H7, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scottish Strength (a few steps from this marker); Prince William Street - Before and After the 1877 Fire (a few steps from this marker); Centerbeam Place (within shouting distance of this marker); The Marco Polo (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John 225th Anniversary Clock (within shouting distance of this marker); The Landing of the Loyalists (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Here Stood the House Occupied by Benedict Arnold (about 90 meters away); Oland Family Breweries (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
 
Marker detail: General Store image. Click for full size.
Courtesy New Brunswick Museum X13130
5. Marker detail: General Store
English:
A potbellied stove, basket of eggs and sign advertising King Cole tea help to recreate the feel of a general store during the 1800s.

Français:
Une « truie », un panier d'œufs et une enseigne faisant la promotion du thé King Cole aident à recréer l'ambiance d'un magasin général du 19e siècle.
Marker detail: John Hooper image. Click for full size.
Courtesy Kathy Hooper
6. Marker detail: John Hooper
English:
John Hooper adds the lettering that tells the story of the sculptures to the newspaper being held by the businessman on the far right.

Français:
John Hooper ajoute les caractères d'imprimerie qui racontent l'histoire des sculptures dans le journal que tient l'homme d'affaires à l'extrême droite.
Marker detail: Motorcycle Riders Sculpture image. Click for full size.
Courtesy Kathy Hooper
7. Marker detail: Motorcycle Riders Sculpture
English:
Even before being painted, the motorcycle riders seem engaged in conversation.

Français:
Même avant d'être peints, les motocyclistes semblent engagés dans une conversation.
A Legacy of Tea Marker • <i>wide view<br>(looking east along Market Square)</i> image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 13, 2019
8. A Legacy of Tea Marker • wide view
(looking east along Market Square)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 17, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   5, 6, 7. submitted on February 18, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   8. submitted on February 17, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145582

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2021