Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Making of a Great University
When classes began in 1841, Mason Hall (left) housed classrooms, a chapel, a library, a museum, and dormitory rooms. Two professors taught thirteen students Greek, Latin, mathematics, and rhetoric. South College (right), a second classroom-dormitory block, was added in 1849.
Henry P. Tappan, UM's first president (1852-1863), envisioned a great university that would make Ann Arbor "a new Athens." An early advocate of scientific research and the practical use of knowledge, he added an observatory, a chemical laboratory, and a law building. Affirming UM's nonsectarian nature, he recruited intellectually distinguished young men to join the existing faculty of Protestant clergymen. He ridiculed providing "vast dormitories for the night's sleep, instead of creating libraries and laboratories for the day's work." After 1858 students lived in rooming houses. Briefly, after the Civil War, UM was the nation's largest university with 32 professors and more than 1,200 students, over half in medicine and law.
Tappan's vision was advanced by James B. Angell, who added over 30 buildings during his presidency (1871-1909). Latin and
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1841.
Location. 42° 16.546′ N, 83° 44.454′ W. Marker is in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on South State Street north of South University Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Marker is between the Michigan Union and the University of Michigan College of Literature, Science, and the Arts. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 530 South State Street, Ann Arbor MI 48109, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Michigan Union and the Peace Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); Law Quadrangle (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The President's House (about 700 feet away); William L. Clements Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Central Forty and The Diag (approx. 0.2 miles away); Martha Cook Building (approx. 0.2 miles The Michigan Ross Bur Oak (approx. ¼ mile away); The Denison Archway (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
Also see . . . Site 14a. State Street: in front of Michigan Union. Marker on the Downtown Ann Arbor Historical Street Exhibit website. (Submitted on February 24, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on February 24, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.