Hazel Green in Wolfe County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Hazel Green Academy
Erected by Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 175.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 37° 47.759′ N, 83° 24.757′ W. Marker is in Hazel Green, Kentucky, in Wolfe County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hazel Green KY 41332, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. USA Gens. Morgan CSA (a few steps from this marker); Swango Springs Spa (approx. half a mile away); Wolfe County War Memorial (approx. 8˝ miles away); Gateway to Appalachia (approx. 8˝ miles away); Swift's Silver Camp (approx. 8˝ miles away); Wolfe County, 1860 (approx. 8˝ miles away); a different marker also named USA Gens. Morgan CSAWolfe County Veterans Wall (approx. 8˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hazel Green.
Regarding Hazel Green Academy. The school closed in 1983.
Also see . . .
1. Pearl Day Bach Photographic Collection, 1893-1961, at the University of Kentucky. Excerpt:
The Pearl Day Bach Photographic Collection (dated 1893-1961; 0.25 cubic feet; 27 items) contains twenty-seven photographic prints that portray scenes of the town of Hazel Green, the Academy, monuments, faculty members, students, and members of the Former Students Association.(Submitted on March 12, 2020.)
The community of Hazel Green, named for the abundance of hazelnut trees found in the area, was founded about 1850, and is located in the rugged, Big Sandy country of Wolfe County, Kentucky. The town was settled mostly by Virginians, beginning as a trading post supplied with goods carried on horseback from Maysville, Lexington, and other towns, in trade for furs, peltries, and farm products. The town rapidly grew in size and importance soon becoming well known for the Hazel Green Fair and a racecourse, which was the first in the mountains. After the turn of the century, Swango Springs also became a popular vacation spa. These attractions enabled early families to set the
The Founders, J. Taylor Day, Greenberry Swango, and W.O. Mize are responsible for establishing the original Hazel Green Academy through an initial contribution of $500 each in 1880. By 1888, the school was transferred to administration by the Christian Women's Board of Missions. Enrollment in the school during this time grew from thirteen to eighty-seven students, and then steadily thereafter. The educational institution is noted for being one of the first junior colleges in the mountains and of which many of Eastern Kentucky's most noted citizens attended. At one time, The Hazel Green Academy had the distinction of having the highest percentage of graduates who enter college, and the lowest withdrawal rate, of any other accredited school in Kentucky. Because of the limited resources of Eastern Kentucky, which comprises 38 counties, Hazel Green Academy was a vital part of a rural development program serving the local population. The school limited enrollment to Eastern Kentucky children with not more than 10% of outside attendance allowed. Because of the Academy's influence, eventually twenty-nine mission-supported schools emerged to serve the area. However, by the 60's, the eventual shift in population away from
2. Entry in AbandonedOnline.com. This article has numerous photographs of the abandoned campus. Excerpt:
The school struggled throughout the mid-20th century as enrollment dropped. Public schools were able to offer a comparable education at far less cost while providing higher salaries to teachers. Grades seven and eight were dropped in 1965, along with all farming operations.(Submitted on March 12, 2020.)
The Division of Home Ministries, the branch of the Christian Church that was then overseeing the Academy, began turning over administrative and financial responsibility to local officials. Hazel Green Academy became an independent institution affiliated with the Christian Church in 1971. The school started a major push to strengthen its fundraising and recruitment efforts to lower teacher turnover and to boost enrollment.
It was only a temporary solution to a long-term decline of the school. On June 30, 1983, owing to an increasing fiscal deficit, the Board of Directors voted not to reopen that fall.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 12, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.