Barnesville in Lamar County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gordon Military College
Founded as Male and Female Seminary in 1852, this was a pioneer school of its kind in Georgia. It was reorganized in 1872 as Gordon Institute, named for General John B. Gordon, famed Confederate soldier, Governor and Senator, who was a friend of Charles E. Lambdin, its first president. In 1927 this school became Gordon Military College, an Honor Military School, an accredited, non-sectarian, five year preparatory Junior College. Graduates have won distinction in many fields of endeavor. Senator Richard B. Russell is numbered among its prominent alumni.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 085-7A.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 33° 2.79′ N, 84° 9.182′ W. Marker is in Barnesville, Georgia, in Lamar County. Marker is on College Drive, 0 miles Gordon Road, on the left when traveling south. The marker is located in front of Alumni Hall at the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barnesville GA 30204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A&M - G.I.C. (here, next to this marker); Roosevelt’s Barnesville Speech (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Jail Museum and Archives (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lamar County (Ga.) 20th Century War Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lamar County Georgia Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lamar County Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); In Memory of America's Revolutionary War Soldiers (approx. half a mile away); Barnesville Blues (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barnesville.
Also see . . . Gordon State College. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on December 29, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 24, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,396 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 24, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.