Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Southern Boundary of Lafayette Land Grant

S.W. Corner 1.4 mi. West S.E. Corner 4.6 mi East

 
 
Southern Boundary of Lafayette Land Grant Marker Side 1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, 1993
1. Southern Boundary of Lafayette Land Grant Marker Side 1
Inscription.  Side 1
During the American War of Independence, the Marquis de Lafayette came from France to the United States to offer not only his personal services as a major general in the Continental Army but also some $200,000 of his private fortune to the American cause. A few years after his return to France, General Lafayette met with personal difficulties during the French Revolution which left him in dire financial circumstances. In gratitude for General Lafayette's generous aid during the American Revolutionary War, the U.S. Congress granted the French hero approximately $24,000 in 1794 and later, in 1803, some land in Louisiana. In 1824, Lafayette returned to America for a visit. Because he was still in financial difficulty, an appeal was made to the American nation for more assistance. The Congress and people of the United States remembered their debt to this man and recognized his continued support of the new Republic during recent decades. Therefore, he was presented with another $200,000 and an entire township (thirty-six square miles) of land to be selected at his discretion.
(continued on reverse)
Side
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2
(Continued from reverse)
General Lafayette decided upon land near this Tallahassee home of his new friend, Richard K. Call, Florida's delegate to the U.S. Congress. Col. John McKee of Alabama, an experienced land buyer, was delegated to travel to Florida and select a township. On July 4, 1825, President John Quincy Adams signed a warrant granting to Lafayette the chosen township, which lay adjacent to the new town of Tallahassee. It was bounded on two sides by the recently surveyed prime meridian and base line and was termed Township One North, Range One East. General Lafayette never visited his land in Florida. By 1855, all the land included in the Lafayette Township (over 23,000 acres) had been sold to individual buyers.
 
Erected 1974 by Historic Tallahassee Preservation Board in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-226.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #06 John Quincy Adams series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1825.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 30° 26.128′ N, 84° 15.455′ W. Marker was
Southern Boundary of Lafayette Land Grant Marker Side 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, 1993
2. Southern Boundary of Lafayette Land Grant Marker Side 2
in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker was at the intersection of Apalachee Parkway (U.S. 27) and Old St. Augustine Road, in the median on Apalachee Parkway. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Tallahassee FL 32301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Layfayette Land Grant (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); His Dream Dies With Him (approx. 0.7 miles away); Land of the Apalachee (approx. 0.7 miles away); De Soto Winter Encampment Site 1539~1540 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Governor John W. Martin House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Fort Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Old Fort Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Tallahassee Democrat (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 433 times since then and 123 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=146795

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024