Azle in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Azle Post Office
Near site of
Originally named O'Bar, the Azle Post Office opened in 1881. The name was changed in 1883 for Dr. Azle Stewart, who gave land for the townsite. Initially the post office was located in a store. Postmaster Cora Lovell moved the operation to a frame building at 141 W. Main, where it remained from 1916 to 1953. The post office became a community gathering place. During the 38-year term of Postmaster Elsie Gipson Parker, it also housed a small public library. A larger postal facility was erected in 1970-71, after Azle attained the rank of First Class Station.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3564.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, World II.
Location. 32° 53.478′ N, 97° 32.587′ W. Marker is in Azle, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of W Main Street and Church Street, on the left when traveling east on W Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 W Main Street, Azle TX 76020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are James Azle Steward (here, next to this marker); Azle Christian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); William M. Rice (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ash Creek Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dido School (approx. 5.4 miles away); The 1865 Indian Creek Raid (approx. 7 miles away); Saginaw School (approx. 10½ miles away); Saginaw Cemetery (approx. 10½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Azle.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 24, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.