Waterville in Kennebec County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
The Two Cent Bridge
River Walk at Head of Falls
The history of toll bridges across the Kennebec goes back to the early 1820's when the bridge connecting Waterville-Winslow was partially destroyed by a March flood in 1827. Another great flood in 1832 damaged the bridge which was rebuilt only to have it damaged again in 1855 and completely carried away on October 5, 1869. The bridge we see today therefore, is a testament to the perseverance of the citizens of Waterville and Winslow to maintain a connection. The Ticonic (Two Cent) Footbridge was constructed in 1901 by Edwin Dwight Graves of the Berlin Construction Company for the Ticonic Footbridge Company, chartered in 1899. It opened on December 15, 1901 and provided workers with easy access to the Hollingsworth & Whitney paper mill across the Kennebec in Winslow, and also for workers from Winslow access to the then new woolen mill (later Wyandotte) on the Waterville side. The original toll was a penny, collected at a booth on the Waterville side. Less than a year after its opening, the bridge was washed away by high water. It was rebuilt in 1903 and to recover the cost, the toll for the crossing rose to two cents, resulting in the common
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. A significant historical date for this entry is December 15, 1901.
Location. 44° 33.071′ N, 69° 37.624′ W. Marker is in Waterville, Maine, in Kennebec County. Marker can be reached from the intersection Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 56 Front St, Waterville ME 04901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Waterville Maine WWI Marker (approx. ¼ mile away); Waterville Maine Veteran's Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waterville Maine Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Immigration (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lombard Log Hauler (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Halifax Park (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Halifax (approx. 0.8 miles away); Heritage of the Kennebec River (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterville.
More about this marker. This marker is along the River Walk at Head of Falls.
Also see . . . Two Cent Bridge (Wikipedia). (Submitted on March 29, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2020, by David Jackson of Smithfield, Maine. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 29, 2020, by David Jackson of Smithfield, Maine. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the bridge • Can you help?