Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tahawus in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

MacNaughton Cottage

Through It All

 
 
MacNaughton Cottage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel, March 28, 2020
1. MacNaughton Cottage Marker
Inscription.  
This cottage has stood on this site for nearly two centuries; it is the only building that survives from the early mining community. The cottage first housed iron mine owners, later caretakers of the abandoned village, then members of a hunting club, and finally miners working at a nearby 20th century titanium mine.

1826 - Settlement of mining community begins
1834 - MacNaughton Cottage, as it came to be known, was built for use by the owners and managers of the fledging iron operation.
First bank - The small addition on the south end of the building housed the McIntyre Bank, first chartered bank in the Adirondacks.
1854 - A post office was opened and the settlement was given the offical name of Adirondac.
1858 - The settlement was abandoned when iron making failed.
1872 - The Hunters - Robert and his wife Sarah were caretakers of the abandoned village, and lived in the cottage until Sarah died.
1877 - Deteriorated village leased to a hunting club
1901 - Theodore Roosevelt - Roosevelt and his family were staying at the cottage when he received word that President William McKinley
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
was dying, and he began his famous ride by cariage and train to Buffalo to be by his side.
1908 - James MacNaughton, for whom the cottage was named, passed away. He was the son-in-law of Archibald McIntyre.
1908 - MacNaughton Cottage in its prime. The cottage as photographed by Norman Stewart Foote, at a time when it was occupied by Robert H. Robertson, designer of the main lodge ast Cam Santanoni
1947 - Hunting club leases were ended and the village was used to house miners working at the nearby titanium mine at Tahawus.
1963 - Mine workers were out and the village was abandoned a second time.
2003 - Verge of Collapse - Weather and neglect left the cottage next to collapse when the property was acquired by the Open Space Institute and the decision was made to save this last remaning building from the iron mining era.
2005 - Saved! ` An initial construction project was undertaken to stabilize and weatherprooof the structure to preserve it for the next chapter of service.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #25 William McKinley, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #26 Theodore Roosevelt series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1826.
 
Location. 44° 5.205′ N, 74° 3.356′ 
MacNaughton Cottage image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel
2. MacNaughton Cottage
W. Marker is in Tahawus, New York, in Essex County. Marker is on Upper Works Road (County Route 25) 9.7 miles north of Blue Ridge Road, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newcomb NY 12879, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Adirondac (a few steps from this marker); Tahawus Clubhouse (a few steps from this marker); The Club Era (within shouting distance of this marker); An Abundance of Ore (within shouting distance of this marker); Abbott/Lockwood (within shouting distance of this marker); Three Communities (within shouting distance of this marker); Taming the Wilderness (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lazy Lodge (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tahawus.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide angle photo of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=147520

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024