Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Central Valley in Sevier County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Our Town ~ Old Inverury

 
 
Our Town ~ Old Inverury Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, September 29, 2018
1. Our Town ~ Old Inverury Marker
Inscription.  In the fall of 1873 the pioneer families of William A, Stewart and Joseph Evans decided to make this area their home. As they drove onto the site nothing greeted them but a wilderness of giant greasewoods towering above their heads. In the spring of 1874 they were joined by more pioneers: Asa S. Hawley, Barnard Greenwood, William Greenwood, Joseph Hooton, Samuel Gray, William Porter, John Avery, Ames Rappleye, Edward Rappleye, George James, Henry Staples and William Marble. Probate Judge William Morrison was called to lay out the town site in 1875. He named the town Inverury, the name of the city in Scotland from which he came. The first homes were small shacks or dugouts with a path through the greasewoods. In 1876 a small crude log house was constructed which served as a community building, church and school. As soon as possible, a new school was built with one teacher teaching all grades.

Inverury's name was changed to Central in 1940. In 1998 the town's name was changed to Central Valley. Central Valley Town was officially incorporated in 2005.

The bell on this monument was originally purchased for the white rock
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
church which stood on the “Town Square” from 1939 to 1981.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
 
Location. 38° 42.202′ N, 112° 6.057′ W. Marker is in Central Valley, Utah, in Sevier County. Marker is on Center Street west of Central Boulevard., on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monroe UT 84754, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trader and Explorer Trails (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Settlement of Annabella (approx. 2.2 miles away); Elsinore (approx. 2.8 miles away); Richfield Presbyterian Church and School (approx. 4.4 miles away); Fort Omni – Richfield (approx. 4˝ miles away); Academy Hall (approx. 4˝ miles away); Richfield Carnegie Library (approx. 4.6 miles away); Fort Alma (later Monroe) 1864-1867 (approx. 4.9 miles away).
 
Our Town ~ Old Inverury Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, September 29, 2018
2. Our Town ~ Old Inverury Marker
Our Town ~ Old Inverury Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, September 29, 2018
3. Our Town ~ Old Inverury Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 6, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=147710

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024