Richardson in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The town of Richardson can trace its beginnings to an earlier community in this area named Breckenridge. Founded in the 1840s by settlers from Kentucky, Tennessee, and other southern states, Breckenridge was located of present Richardson.
In 1873 the Houston and Texas Central Railroad was built through Dallas County, bypassing the town of Breckenridge. The citizens moved north to the rail line and named their new town in honor of railroad contractor E.H. Richardson. Land for a townsite was donated by William J. Wheeler and Bernard Reilly.
The new town grew quickly. With its main street facing the railroad tracks, it soon boasted homes, businesses, churches, and schools. By the 1890s Richardson was an important shipping point for area grain and cotton. The town was incorporated in 1925 and Thomas F. McKamy was elected mayor. The 1930 U.S. Census showed a population of 629.
Following World War II, the town's economic base changed from agriculture to electronics and manufacturing. Experiencing rapid growth after the 1950s, Richardson's population had passed 75,000 by 1990.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 57.595′ N, 96° 43.85′ W. Marker is in Richardson, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from West Arapaho Road east of Civic Center Drive. The marker is on the north side of City Hall, within sight of the fountain and library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 411 W Arapaho Road, Richardson TX 75080, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church Richardson (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Richardson (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Richardson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Blewett Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wheeler School (approx. one mile away); McKamy Spring (approx. 1.3 miles away); Demonstration of the First Working Integrated Circuit (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Floyd Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richardson.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 20, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.