Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church
In the early 20th Century, unrest and subsequent regional turmoil in Greece forced hundreds of thousands of Greeks to leave their homes, often for America. A year after the Hermes Society, a Greek-American Benevolent Society, was formed, the Dallas community recognized the pressing need to establish an Eastern Orthodox Church. On November 18, 1915, a charter was signed and granted to create Holy Trinity for public worship.
By 1916, with the help of many donations and a loan, construction began at the Riggs Street location, the first site of Holy Trinity. There are very few records of the construction as the wood-frame structure was designed to be temporary as many Greeks in Dallas meant to return to Greece. On July 18, 1937, Holy Trinity at Riggs Street was consecrated. In the late 1930s, Archbishop Athenagoras (later Patriarch) visited Dallas. By this time, a community meeting hall was added and a nearby house served as the priest's house.
During WWI and WWII, Holy Trinity contributed to the war effort through military service and services at home. Following the war, Dallas grew quickly and the church purchased property
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18811.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 55.922′ N, 96° 47.196′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Hillcrest Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13555 Hillcrest Road, Dallas TX 75240, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); White Rock Chapel (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hamilton Park Community (approx. 1.9 miles away); Demonstration of the First Working Integrated Circuit (approx. The Floyd Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 2˝ miles away); St. Mark's School of Texas (approx. 3 miles away); The Hockaday School (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 24, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.