New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
John Paul II House
and inaugurated in the name of
His Holiness Pope John Paul II
H.E. Archbishop Leonardo Sandri
Substitute of the Secretariat of State
in the presence of
H.E. Archbishop Renato R. Martino
Apostolic Nuncio, Permanent Observer of the Holy See
to the United Nations
and President of the Path to Peace Foundation
New York, New York
20 June 2002
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is June 20, 2002.
Location. 40° 44.949′ N, 73° 58.695′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on East 38th Street west of Lexington Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 38th Street, New York NY 10016, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Murray Hill Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 67 Park Avenue (about 300 feet away); 152 East 38th Street (about 400 feet away); The Gabarron Foundation (about 400 feet away); Memorial LightMary Lindley Murray (about 500 feet away); Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt (about 500 feet away); The Union League Club (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Also see . . . Murray Hill Historic District. The New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission's 2002 report on the Murray Hill District, including descriptions of historic buildings in the district, including 123 East 38th Street: This Second Empire-style row house was speculatively-developed in 1863-65 by merchant Timothy Churchill as one in a row of five similar buildings from 115 to 123 East 38 Street. At the time, the demand for housing in New York was increasing as workers and businessmen flocked to New York City, which was transforming into a center of ship building and industrial production for the Civil War effort. Many of the houses, such as these, featured French- Renaissance-inspired mansard roofs and more-stylized Italianate motifs After completion, this house was acquired by Henry M. Harding. In 1893, the house was owned by New York District Attorney De Lancey Nicoll, who served in that position from 1890-1893. Nicoll also served as an Associate Counsel to the Interborough Rapid Transit Company. The building was extended to the rear in 1890; the extension was enlarged in 1893. Between c.1938 and the mid-1980s, the mansard roof at the attic level was expanded to a full story. Surviving historic features include the stoop with wrought-iron railings and newel posts, the pedimented entryway, the main doors, the molded window surrounds, and the window sash. (Submitted on October 29, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 601 times since then and 63 times this year. Last updated on April 24, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.