Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Idlewild Presbyterian Church
A series of prayer meetings organized by James S. Davant in 1890 resulted in a Presbyterian Church organized in the suburb of Idlewild. From Peabody Avenue the congregation moved to the southwest corner of Union Avenue and McLean Boulevard, then in 1926 to the present building, known as "the South's Cathedral of Presbyterianism” and listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Clergy and members of the church have been leaders in the denomination, the neighborhood, and the wider community, including the founding of the Metropolitan Inter-Faith Association.
Architect George Awsumb designed the Gothic Revival sanctuary, including stone figures on the tower representing workers for God, wood carvings in the sanctuary representing figure of the Protestant Reformation, and various Christian symbols in the windows. A 1960s addition including education and recreation facilities was designed by his sons, Wells and Richard Awsumb. The Trippeer Chapel, consecrated in 1961, features modern faceted stained glass. The carillon of 48 bells was added in 1982.
Erected by Tennessee Historical
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 35° 8.171′ N, 90° 0.228′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on South Evergreen Street just north of Union Avenue (U.S. 64/79), on the left when traveling north. Marker located in parking lot across the street from the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1750 Union Avenue, Memphis TN 38104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bettis Family Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Grace-St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The Antenna Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central Gardens Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hutchison School (approx. 0.4 miles away); The 1969 Miss Memphis Review (approx. half a mile away); Crump Home (approx. half a mile away); Griffin House (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Also see . . . Details of the carillon. (Submitted on September 6, 2020, by Carl Scott Zimmerman of Kirkwood, Missouri.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.