Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Amarillo in Potter County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Polk Street United Methodist Church

 
 
Polk Street United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen Lowrey, May 5, 2020
1. Polk Street United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  

The congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized on November 23, 1888, by Rev. Isaac Mills, Rev. Jerome Haralson and eight members. The church held title to Parker’s Chapel, the first church building constructed in Amarillo in 1889. The building initially housed several denominations that later organized and moved into their own buildings. The Methodist congregation grew significantly and, less than ten years later, it was clear that a much larger building was needed.

In 1899, Rev. J.A. Whitehurst arrived in Amarillo and deeded a lot on Polk Street to the congregation. A Gothic Revival white-frame church was constructed by W.J. Beck in 1902. Known as the “white church,” it served the congregation for five years before it was moved across the street to make room for construction of a new, two-story Romanesque Revival Style brick church. In 1908, the church changed its name to Polk Street Methodist Church. As attendance grew to over 2,000, the church outgrew its third campus.

The Reuben Harrison Hunt Company designed this Gothic Revival Brick structure on Polk Street six blocks south
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the previous church. The new building opened in 1928 with additions in 1953 and 2012. Details include pointed arched openings, parapeted gables with limestone coping, lancets, pinnacles and pedimented buttresses. Built with Tudor details, including stained glass windows, the church is designed to be more than a house of worship. Theological education classes are held in the building’s many classrooms and community organizations utilize the large meeting halls. This beautiful, historic landmark was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2013
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17577.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is November 23, 1888.
 
Location. 35° 11.945′ N, 101° 50.31′ W. Marker is in Amarillo, Texas, in Potter County. Marker is on South Polk Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1401 S Polk Street, Amarillo TX 79101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Polk Street Schools (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shuford-Killough House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old First Baptist Church
Polk Street United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen Lowrey, May 5, 2020
2. Polk Street United Methodist Church Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Jons-Danner-Gilvin House (approx. ¼ mile away); Houghton House (approx. ¼ mile away); Central Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bivins Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Avery and Mary Turner House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amarillo.
 
Polk Street United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen Lowrey, May 5, 2020
3. Polk Street United Methodist Church and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 6, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149437

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024