Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Buda in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Buda School

 
 
Buda School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, May 7, 2020
1. Buda School Marker
Inscription.  The Buda school system organized from the consolidation of several 19th century rural schools, including Elm Grove (largest school in Hays County in 1876), Goforth, Turnersville, Mountain City, Antioch, Science Hall and Kellyville. In 1881, the year Cornelia Trimble platted Buda, Mary Adams established the first school on property east of the railroad track along Railroad Street and served as its teacher.

In 1885, school trustees erected a two-story wooden school building at the current site. In 1908, trustees replaced it with a larger, two-story brick building to accommodate Buda’s growing population. When that structure burned in 1928, builders completed the present mission style, one-story schoolhouse, designed by Austin architect Roy L. Thomas, which incorporated the standing walls of the previous building, still visible in the auditorium space. The auditorium was significant to parents and students, hosting school events before transformation to a community room.

From 1931 to 1945, Bob Barton, Sr. served as school superintendent, in addition to his other duties as bus driver, teacher and coach. He and his wife, Marietta,
Buda School Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, May 7, 2020
2. Buda School Marker Area
aided in the fight for school integration, which began when the city’s Mexican American school closed in 1948. African American high school students were able to attend the main school in 1956, with grades one through eight integrated by 1961.

Buda, Kyle and Wimberley schools joined in 1967 to form Hays Consolidated Independent School District (Wimberley has since reformed a separate district). Today, this school, now Buda Elementary, continues to serve the community as an educational institution and gathering place, more than 100 years after it first opened.
 
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14464.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
 
Location. 30° 5.033′ N, 97° 50.686′ W. Marker is in Buda, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on Ash Street near San Marcos Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North San Marcos St, Buda TX 78610, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buda United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buda Christian Church (about 400 feet away); Buda (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Buda (approx. 0.2 miles away);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Antioch Colony (approx. 0.4 miles away); McElroy-Severn House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Live Oak Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Manchaca United Methodist Church (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buda.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 7, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 20, 2020